Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought our first house and the darn place has totally eaten up my Mustang budget. I just added all the receipts for the fridge, blinds, lawnmower, and everything else from Lowe's and it came up to $2800. It hurts me to think what goodies I could've gotten for the car.

It's funny how much more money we seem to have when SWMBO says we need something for the house...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just one house ? Try being married to the rental queen of North Seattle :: Between the rental houses and the apartments I rarely have time to tie my shoes, and whats worse, she keeps all the rent $ :: ::

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It's funny how much more money we seem to have when SWMBO says we need something for the house...
Welcome to marriage and home-ownership. As you've learned, your hobby budget (even if it's something other than Mustangs) has magically been converted to the "Honey we need this for the house" budget.

In the long run, it'll work out. Just don't try to buy it all at once.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
It is an advantage; it gives me a place to store the mustangs, parts and have a place to work on them. An apartment just does not work for that. What do you have after 10 years of renting----nothing. What do you have after 10 years of house payments---equity!

Houses can be a pain, but the alternative is IMHO worse.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What do you have after 10 years of house payments---
Repair bills. First time something major broke on my house I sure wished I had been renting... could have rented for 6 months instead of fixing the heat on the house!!

My advice to everyone who owns a house, get a home warranty. Fortunately I didn't actually have to pay to fix the heat, the warranty company paid out $2500 for a new heat pump compressor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Amen brother! This project has been my nemisis for the past year. Almost complete and I have been told that there will be no more house projects till next year. Like I am going to believe that one. We also have a 6 month old so I am lucky that I have gathered enough tools this year to start some work without any more $$$

K

·
0 Posts
Yeah renting is the way to go. I sure wish I had been renting for the last 18 years I could have been paying only $800-$2200/mth versus $500,000 in equity (that's pure profit but only if I sell ::) Yep been pissing all that cash into a mortgage and repairs, dang it. ::

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Yes, household repairs can be expensive. However, since taking up total restoration of Midlife, I can safely say the skills I've learned over the past 3-4 years have paid dividends on house repairs. We almost never call plumbers or electricians or other technicians to the house, since I now can do most of the repairs myself. SWMBO has taught herself how to repair window screens as well. Air conditioning is another story; I've no knowledge of this magical art. :( Otherwise, it's do it yourself.

Thank you Mustangs and VMF for teaching me all sorts of skills! ::

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thankfully, it's a brand spanking new house, so no repairs yet. But she thinks we need grass, a fence, and whatever else she thinks up. The only important thing for me was "how big is the garage?", and it's just fine...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts