Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The earlier post on shopping for spot weld cutters got me thinking that I need to turn you guys on to a really nice thing, the Drill Doctor drill bit sharpener. Personnally I couldn't justify one for my own shop, but I bought one for work, because we go through a few dozen drill bits a year. It was pretty easy to cost justify based on that.

The unit costs a little less than $200. It's available a lot of places like Eastwood. They even have a websight for it. http://www.drilldr.com

Here's a picture:

http://www.drilldr.com/assets/images/DD750_sm.jpg

It takes about 30 minutes to set it up and figure out how to sharpen a drill bit with it, but after that, it's a snap. You can take a bit from ultra-dull to razor sharp in about 60 seconds. Now, it won't put a pilot point on your bit, resharpen masonary bits, or sharpen anything odd like a spotweld cutter. You'll note from the websight that it just works with standard and splitpoint bits with the two most common point angles.

However, if you have one of these things, your bits are going to be so sharp that you won't miss not having pilot points. I can pilot drill and final drill in much less time then I used to spend trying to get a dull bit through a piece of steel. Now all my bits are sharp and I'm a happy camper.

Honestly, if I knew how good this thing would work, I think I would have just bought the damn thing and set it up at home. Now that there's one at work I can use afterhours for free, I'm way too cheap to spring for one of my own...although I should...it's that much of a "joy" to have sharp bits.

p.s. I'm using bits on my spot welds now...because a razor sharp bit beats a half dull spot weld cutter any day.

Phil

G

·
I agree. I have used several other types of drillbit sharpeners over the years, and none worked anywhere near as well. I bought one for work, and the cheaper one for home.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I use a dual wheel Darex in the shop which can sharpen bits from 1/8" to 1"
I've had it for about 17 years now and it was one of the best investments I ever made. Making back-cuts and split-points is a snap. I even use it for back-cutting milling cutters before finishing them on the Baldor diamond-wheel dresser.

Ironically, as I bought the Darex new (brand new technology at the time), it cost more than the Baldor, which was bought at auction.

The DrillDoctor is newer, simpler and less expensive and is great for home or small shop use. I likely would have bought one if it had been available at the time.

You'll likely find, unless you rub the flutes off or break bits, you'll never buy drill bits again. Just use top quality American or European bits and they'll last forever..*G*

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have the Drill Dr and agree, it works great. I've rescued all my old drill bits and put them back in servise.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I have a drill dr. and love it but find that the small bits don't do quite as well as the larger (1/4 or so) do. Is there some secret for the small bits that are almost like wire?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the review. I saw one the other day and was thinking about buying it, but didn't want to spend the cash if it was a POS. It's good to get some feedback and I can ALWAYS use another tool. I'll use SWMBO's logic and explain how much money it will save us, since I will be able to save all those old drill bits.

Lou

1 - 6 of 6 Posts