Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’ve always been a 67/68 guy. It’s easy....send off for a Marti report. I bet over the years, I’ve bought 20 of those things for cars I bought and sold.

But for the 65/66....there is no easy way.

Yesterday I got under my 65 for the first time. I replaced my starter. While under the car, I noticed a power steering mount bracket installed on the frame rail. The car now has manual steering but I think this bracket is a sure sign that it came with power steering.

Also, the console is a short one. I’m assuming the short console was for cars with air conditioning?

·
Dimples
4,848 Posts
Yes on the short console, but that could have been added. There are more reliable and meaningful holes to look for to determine if it was an A/C car.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Power steering box tag will have information to help.

HCC-AX = power steering

Steering Box ID Decoder

As mentioned, there will be an oval knockout with two screw holes for a/c.
And console will be short as you noticed.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,789 Posts
There would be punched holes on the left front radiator support for the condenser lines and there would be one oblonged hole on the left of the firewall with a clamshell secondary clamp with a grommet for the hoses passing into the cabin.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Forgot about the radiator support holes

Reactions: sykesk

·
Registered
479 Posts
And there will be a drain hole on passenger side on transmission tunnel. Near passenger left leg forward of the ac console mount location.

If it had a console in general, there will be small holes along transmission tunnel for mounting console to floor.

·
Registered
479 Posts
One last thing, on driver shock tower there will be a small hole for a clamp for a/c hose.

It will be on the front corner near engine about 1/2 way up.
Approximately across from oil sending unit on 289.

If interior hasn’t been painted, you’ll probably see some telltale signs of evaporator mounting on each side of ashtray.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There will be a fused electrical pigtail to feed the blower unit on evaporator attached to ignition switch.

These are all the things I can remember on my 65 with a/c, console, interior decor pkg.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I’m sure plenty here know details.

I’ve been intimate with interior, engine, and transmission recently.

When I purchased the car, a/c was non-operational...still isn’t but hopefully soon.
Been looking to getting it to work.
Perhaps why I can rattle it off today.

I’ll have to hit ya up if I ever become a 67-68 owner.
I’ve had the 65 longer than my kids.
It’s my first born! ?

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, here’s a picture of my firewall. I’ve read that early 65’s had the two a/c holes drilled out. My car has two holes in this area but they’ve been plugged up with an epoxy. Definitely something someone did.

And I am wondering what the single wire is in this picture. It runs toward the front but is cut around the shock tower.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
That's the wire that would go to the AC clutch , or maybe the windshield washer pump.

·
Registered
35,936 Posts
Another problem? Look below your A/C holes at the compression union on your RH brake line. Not cool.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another problem? Look below your A/C holes at the compression union on your RH brake line. Not cool.
well, I literally have no front brakes so there’s a bigger problem. Like there’s just a drum with no internals.

I know that this car sat for years in an auto shop with no one paying the storage bill. I’m starting to think that this car had power steering (confirmed), a/c (confirmed), and disc brakes (not sure yet) and the options were parted out to pay the bill.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
My brother bought a Jeep once with really bad back brakes. When he took the rear drums off there weren't any parts inside. Someone had taken everything out and just left it all out.

So don't be surprised if you actually have empty drums with nothing inside. People do strange things to cars sometimes.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
I love all the little nuances and even the anomalies of factory, dealer and even some cool aftermarket Mustang options and accessories. I've amassed a fun little collection of stuff to make my little Mustang not just one of millions but very unique and fun for others to enjoy, too. This site is da BOMB.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts