Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm deep into my 3rd full day of trying to get my '68 ready to roll. I'm
just starting to think I might make it for the Labor Day weekend so I'm
hustling right along. I decide to trim off the rusty original tailpipe tips
and put on some clean downturn tips. I get out the sawzall. (can you
guess the doofus yet?) I pick a spot for my cut and start sawing... (got
it yet?) I adjust my angle to finish cutting through the pipe...and...

That's right, a 4" slice right through the gas tank. At least I got the sawzall
stopped and out from under there before it lit anything off. I caught most
of the gas in gas cans and then hosed the crap out of the garage for the
next 3-4 hours.

So feel good about yourselves boys and girls. There is at least one VMFer
who is, for today at least, the dumbest VMFer on the planet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's scary, glad it didn't ignite! Fired scars the you know what out of me...worst way to go I can imagine.

The good thing about making a major doofus is that they're like hurricanes; once you get hit by a big one you're statistically safe for quite a while. :)

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
The good thing is you're here to tell us about it. That was too close.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Reminds me of when I was putting air shocks on a vehicle I used to own. I`m merrily drilling holes underneath trunk area for the little plastic holders that support the air lines. Suddenly I hear a strange noise. I drilled through my spare tire and air is justa hissing.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Wow, that could have been a whole lot worse! Glad to see the only expense is a new gas tank and a little loss of pride /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
660 Posts
Look at the bright side. If it wasn't for the gas tank, you'd of probably sawed off the entire trunk. Geesh! I wouldn't entertain any ideas about purchasing a welder or a cutting rig if I were you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Reminds me of another "doofuses" (your words, not mine) that was replacing his fuel pump that was located in his gas tank. He though it was a good idea to use his vacuum cleaner to get the rust out around the tank, but it wasn't. Well, you can figure out the rest. The scary part was that his kid was in the garage when the vacuum cleaner exploded, scaring about ten years off the poor kid’s life.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You know you really wanted that Fuelsafe tank anyway, right?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Reminds me of the time I was drilling a panel and went through it AND my hand on the other side.....OWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! When SWMBO asked what happened I was at a loss.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I know these are serious issues and injuries being discussed, but I am laughing so hard I have tears running down my face! I bet there could be a heck of a best seller generated out of this sight. I will have to say that drilling a hole through your hand trunps a gash in the gas tank....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts