Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A funny thing happened yesterday...

I have been trying to repair a botched attempt at turn signal wire repair by the previous owner on my '66 GT. Seems like he had a small underdash wiring fire with some wires melted and replaced, but not necessarily with the same color of wire. Wire tracing then becomes a hands on experience. I was close to being done...then my wife asked me to look at a car that our local priest was going to buy. (The priest is from India and doesn't have a clue about cars. He is walking bait for the sharks at the car dealers.) He drives the car to our house...it is, of all things, a year old Toyota...a 4 cyl Corolla, no less. He wanted me to look it over before he bought it. (How can you refuse a priest?) It looked like a good buy (not hit, not under water, and ran well.) He was pleased, but he absolutely insisted that I take it for a drive. OK, we took it for a drive. This must have deeply angered the Mustang gods...not to mention the small block gods.

After he left, I was putting the instrument cluster back into the dash, the red lead from the ammeter touched a sheet metal screw on the instrument cluster. There was a little spark (the contact was only momentary.) Now, when I start the car, the ammeter will "peg" at the charge side of the gauge at fast idle...the amount of "peg" is engine speed dependent.

The wiring is OK, and the voltage regulator is OK. Did I fry the diodes on the alternator, and are they replaceable? Or do I have to replace the alternator?

Sorry for the long post...but even when you do something nice for the local priest to keep him from getting mauled by the car sharks, the Mustang gods get angry.

Any help you can provide on the alternator is appreciated. BTW, the priest bought the car, and is happy...to bad it wasn't a Focus!

Ray

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think you should fire it up and check the output (volts/amp) on the alt. From what you described, I would tend to think that just the gauge is wacked not the alt.
Worse case, have the priest come over and perform an exorcism on the car.

http://community.webshots.com/album/33786390mmhudJ?888

1 - 2 of 2 Posts