Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who read "Mustang & Fords" magazine saw the article about putting the 1979+ Mustang suspension and "K" member onto an older Mustang. I can't wait to get the price.
I thought that the current rack and pinion kit was way over priced. Figure, a rack costs about $125, so where does the expense of another $800 come in at? For what, about 30 bucks in metal brackets? Another $80 for tie rod ends and some special adapter for the steering. If they price this new set up right we'll all have a late model suspension... won't we. To me, the struts, metal brackets, rack, K member control arms might add up to this. So what's the maker of the $1200 rack kit gonna do? Probably buy a $95,000 67 GT 500. Thanks for the vent.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've been hoping to do something like this on my '68 since I bought it. If
they supply a kit, that will be great. But the series of articles alone shows
that it can be done and lays out a decent roadmap. This is not to say
it's not a lot of work, and you better learn how to be a halfway decent
metalworker before you start (or have the cash to pay for one), but man
the results are sweet!

Face it, the hot rod guys can buy a complete front suspension, including
disk brakes and rotors, rack and pinion, coilover shocks and tubular
control arms for the price of TCP's rack and pinion alone. I'm all for
letting a company make a fair profit, but this goes way beyond that.

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
The 79 and up suspension is not without it's faults. It has an anti dive problem along with caster and camber problems too.

This was designed over 20 years ago for simplicity, not performance. Ask the 5.0 road racers.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The problem is there's no price competition to TCP's product and so they ask whatever the market will bear...that's just good business. I would guess a good part of the cost of this is liability insurance costs. Since they make a kit, they have to insure themselves against a legal claim if any buyer gets into an accident. I'd bet half the cost is the cost of insurance passed on to their customers.

·
Registered
652 Posts
So what _are_ the 5.0 road racers using? Mods to the stock setup or is there a better
front clip out there somewhere?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,721 Posts
I haven't read the article, but we bought a 93 GT front end for SWMBO's 86 4 cylinder conversion. K member, sway bar,brakes with lines, rack, and all suspension parts. For our particular project, we bolted on the drive train and then dropped the 86 body down on to the whole assembly. The utterly complete front suspension cost me $200.
Give anybody some ideas?

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, Sixfivepony, the post was about the "new style" 79+ suspension, you know, struts, rack etc. The kit you are talking about is for the Mustang II suspension.
Hey, with the shock towers way out of the way, you could put a boss 429 in ...upside down if you wanted.
The fellow who is doing this told me it was going to be a one-off. Tears in my eyes about that. But now that the cats out of the bag it won't be long. Who had a stroker motor before 4 years ago? Now we all do.
Anyone get sick of all the 67 -69 Camaro's with a Corvette suspension??? Now we soon will get the edge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts