Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to get this off my chest. Last month at a car show a fellow noticed my SAAC shirt and asked me if I was looking for a 67 GT500. Well who isn't? It turns out that this little town out in the middle of nowhere a guy has had one for years. A fellow was about to buy it for $10,000 but started jacking him around on the price. (like $10,000 wasn't low enough) so the owner blew him off. I said I heard about that car, and rode around that town for a half hour 8 years ago looking for it, but never ran into it.
So, here I go again. I told the fellow this and he said, I'll take you right to the house! (Sure, I'm thinking)
I took the fellows name and number and called him that evening to go see the car the next day. No problem he said.
I called him the next day to confirm that he is indeed home, as it was about a 1 1/2 hour drive to pick him up. But yes, he was home. ( I'm waiting for the excuses to start any time now) Come pick him up. And I did. 20 minutes after I picked him up we were on the front porch, asking for the Shelby's owner. It took 5 minutes for the fellow to come out. The guy who brought me there said he brought me over to see about the Shelby as I also owned one. The guy just said, well, he was gonna fix it up "someday". I said, hey, can I look at it? He said, go around back. Out he came, pushed the garage door open and there it sat. Dark blue, GT500, 428 4 spd, no air. It's not even in the registry - Ok, one of about 25 not registered, dark blue GT500's. So much junk was packed on and around the car you could not even see the stripes on the side. All you could see was the left 10 inches of the tail light, the top of the quarter, a little of the roof and the side window - which was open. Walk around to open the hood? No way, you'd be walking on stuff. I never did get the number.
I stood there staring for about 5 minutes, that's all you could do. I took down his name and phone number and gave him mine. Now I'm just waiting for the phone to ring.....
Any suggestions on how to get him to sell?
By the way, it would take at least an hour to unbury the car. Plus he's got at least 10 dead riding lawn mowers out in his yard. And more all over the already crowded garage.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
CASH CASH CASH it talks for itself,to people with a yard full of riding mowers

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Go back by yourself with cash & a trailer & make him an offer. Money talks & your timing may be right. If it doesn't work at least you will have tried. I would continue to try once every 6 months or so. Good luck.

K

·
0 Posts
So you need a little sweat to unearth it. If you want it do it. Offer up some cash. Tug on his love (?, yeah right) of Mustnags and say you will get it into shape.

Rebuilding a car that has been sitting all these years is an expected job so the only problem I see is that after all your digging its a poor clone that he thinks is a GT500.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have to agree with Robbie.

If you'd love to have it for $12,000, then go see him and hum haw around a little and "reluctantly" pull out 100, $100 bills.

That wad will look incredible. If he won't go for it, pull out 10 more at a time until you hit your limit.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I agree with CS GT red. I just bought a '66 coup for $500 less than the
asking price because I had 20 $100 bills in hand. Cash in hand is worth
more than a old Mustang in the barn. (not to me, but I'm a sick man)

GOOD LUCK !!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Drop in and visit him in a couple of weeks. Get to know him some and gain his trust that you are someone willing to pay cash for it and are not just looking to make a buck. Every car like this has people that stop by and take a stab "sell it to me". At the point in time he is going to sell you will be the first on his list.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I would difinitely make YOUR name a household name around his house. Give him a call once a month, find out what his interest are, who know some $$ and a brand new riding lawn mower (no more dead ones!) might do the trick!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Do Not wave money in his face nor go with a trailer to his home.
Just keep in contact with him on a regular basis. Let him know that you are the only one that should be intrusted with this car.
Anybody with "too much cash" can wave it at him and to many of these people that is a turn off.
He knows what the car is and to him its probably more than just a car, its his baby his dream
Gain his trust and the car will be yours
I bought 5S263 that way, took 18 months but when he decided to let it go he called me first....
Oh I paid him $1150.00 and drove it away

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Since he seem to have love of ridding lawn mowers, I think I stop by the local John Deere dealer see if you can stike a deal with him to show this to your uncle and upon his approval purchase it.

Load it on a trailer and drive over to the guys house and offer him a trade, what have you got to lose, if he turns you down take the tracter back no harm no foul.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Mark

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe you are right. I've had evey body - even at work say, hey show him the money. Well that's not the point. He can take any offer...when he's ready. Only a real meathead is gonna let someone take it without paying. He knows what he wants. He wants to be 21 again. So today I'm sending him a thank you card for even letting me see it. I did tell him that I contacted the former owner of # 0036, that I wrote him and even let him drive it. And I'd let him drive this one after I was done fixing it up.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Finding these cars is fun. I get a kick out of all the people who say they can't afford, can't find,... Shelbys. I have 3 cars sitting in garages just like you describe...but the timing is not right. Keep in touch, and you may get an opportunity. The 3 cars are, 67 GT500, 68 GT500, 67 GT500.... Good luck!!

Rob

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
I don't think showing the money will do anything other then him off. I think you'll have to barter for it. Maybe do some work around his house, new mower as others have said, another car, ect.

How about this, offer to work on his GT500. Say to him that you'll free it from the garage and try to get it running for him. He might see that you truly care for "his" car. Also, it'll be a good way for you to evaluate the car!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If I read you roriginal post correctly, he had already agreed to sell it first but the guy reneged.

If he sold it and the only problem was lack of follow thru on behalf of the buyer, I still believe the "show him the money" would work.

No doubt though that the thank you card and a show of interest in him and his ownership would help.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If you go dig it out and get it running for him he'll drive it and never sell,,most people like that know they have something valueable but they don't know anyone that could even borrow 10k ,let alone have it to spend TODAY!,,
If you think it will turn him off Tell me where to meet you I'll bring 12K and try,if he sells I'll give you 3K for finding it ,,If not you can go back later and try the"Oh I'm your buddy ,and I'll take care of it" routine

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Just talk to the fellow and find out the history of the car....and how it ended up in his hands....Be friendly and patient....

AND do express your willingness to purchase the car outright
no hassles, no BS.....just simple cash right there.

THe haggling turned him off in his first attempt to sell it.....and the chump who tried getting a better deal is still kicking himself to this day!!!

Good luck!!!
Roberto

ps..the 69 Boss that my pops sold is still with the same couple from Arizona...and they stilll say they are glad they bought it. We continue to remain very good friends.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Send him a Christmas card every year! Try to work him real hard without pissing him off....GOOD LUCK and may the force be with you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts