Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this might be a bit educational for all but especially for me :)

I pulled out this C code 68' Coupe Odometer. It's speed has clocked dead accurate but it's odometer has been malfuntioning since I bought the car. Basically other digits were spinning with the 1/10ths when they should not have.

I pulled off the little 'rolodex' thing with the digits and the tumblers. Got it set up at zero and working at one to my drill over a new speedo cable I'm going to install and it was clocking accurately. Then it locked up. Put some lube on the dials, shaft and it was back in business. But now I can't get the tumblers all lined up in the proper position. I've seen the "Average Joe Restoration" video which seems to be the only one but it's much harder than it looks. Especially when they've scrambled and probably aren't working right. I strongly suspect someone before me tried to do this and didn't have it set up right either. If the tumblers are out of order it can look right but will bind on other numbers. The tiny gears inside the dials are probably shot too.

My cluster came out, and it's in incredibly good condition. All the wiring inside the dash is in amazing shape.

My options are:
1) The Tachman....had a good email exchange with him in October but he's not responding now. He might only want to do full cluster restos rather than just an odometer. All my other guages are in good order and looking good.
2) Aftermarket repros I've heard they are bad, and I see they have the yellow line. Mine has a Yellow line. I heard this was due to fading of the red color? So they are reproducing a faded look? Really?
3) NOS they're very pricey at 200$ + but might be worth it given you look at this every day, rely on it to not get into trouble and it's a PITA to get in and out.

Did I cover all the bases? Does anyone know a good source for rebuilt ones? I can already see on the back of the repro photos the gearing is different. This may explain why I've read some in some reviews that the speed was way off. Wouldn't trust Taiwan/China to that one :)

Jonathan

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Mustangerbob1 where do you get just a tumbler set? Don’t see any for sale. I have seen working OE used odometers for $35

It also won’t clip back on. The spring lost tension or something is missing between the tiny brass washer & clip. It did kinda explode off on me 😁🤷‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Kind of off topic, but once you get it figured out you will have to decide what to set it to. A lot of people reset to zero with a restoration or motor rebuild. I just activated my car insurance and decided to leave mine as purchased as it kind of seems like the odometer is part of the "soul" of the car. I did have fun spinning it forward and backward a little with a drill motor though when I was testing it. Drill fits nicely on the cable end.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've reset dozens and the hardest part is the alignment of the numbers with the little brass alignment notches. It just takes a little practice, but once they lock in, they work fine, unless there's other issues. I need to pull mine again as I did a 7,500 mile trip after taking out the 3.25 and putting in a 2.80 forgetting to replace the trans gear! Mileage was just a little off!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kind of off topic, but once you get it figured out you will have to decide what to set it to. A lot of people reset to zero with a restoration or motor rebuild. I just activated my car insurance and decided to leave mine as purchased as it kind of seems like the odometer is part of the "soul" of the car. I did have fun spinning it forward and backward a little with a drill motor though when I was testing it. Drill fits nicely on the cable end.

Good luck!
Yeah I did the drill spinning thing. It was fun but I think since the drill spins it faster than 120 this is really not good for it. When I test my replacement I'll hook it up to my battery electric which will only go up to 20-30mph. You can wind the digits back or forward. I'm going to start out at 0 because I have a rebuilt motor + trans and the mileage that started at 65k read 72k before disassembly after only about 1k of driving :) Speed needle was dead accurate though so it was not a cable issue. Got a new one anyhow. But there is no way to know how long it was dysfunctional and driven like that. Prev owner did not know the mileage it was his deceased father's car and I'm sure they had better things to talk about during his final illness. Could have been 65k original or 165k who knows. The original motor piston wear and undercarriage point to quite low mileage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've reset dozens and the hardest part is the alignment of the numbers with the little brass alignment notches. It just takes a little practice, but once they lock in, they work fine, unless there's other issues. I need to pull mine again as I did a 7,500 mile trip after taking out the 3.25 and putting in a 2.80 forgetting to replace the trans gear! Mileage was just a little off!
What do you mean by brass alignment notches.....not seeing that anywhere on this. The only brass I'm seeing is the tiny little washer that sits on the end of the dials. Lost that thing like 3 times. Doesn't seem to hold the dials together anytmore, and the end spring clip lost almost all tension after I pulled it off. This dial is done. Can't source any new internal parts.

Edit: Ok now I see what you mean. The metal plates between numbers all appear to be brass on the photos of units for sale. THIS ONE has black metal tabs between the numbers which shows that it may have been rebuilt and has fallen apart again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I found a NOS speedo but the guy wants $215!! He will not back off. He emailed me photos to my personal account so I could see the gearing and part # so that I know it's not a fake. It shows 000000.3 miles.

Yeah I'm aware of how easily they can be turned back and painted over.

There is another one that has 3300 showing and it's only $75. It looks lightly used. They both have a strong red color stripe above 70 and not the 'faded yellow' speed stripe that sun faded dials like mine have. This one has a 68 part number and he has photos of all angles.

So is 215$ crazy for a NOS speedo? Will I have to pull it apart and lube it if it sat 52 years (it's a 67) ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts