Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago, I hit a deer in my '71 Mustang Mach 1. I had been working on him all winter just to get the old boy happy again. Then along comes this deer out of nowhere that jumped out in front of the car. Wiped out the front end. Killed the driver's side fender and my Nasa hood. Also killed a rare '71 Mach 1 grill. Not to mention the deer. The car didn't miss a beat though.

I could have cried. If I was still drinking, I'd still be on a bender. But I kept my chin up in spite of the devil's attempt to kill the one thing I really love. Besides my beautiful and loving wife.

Anyways, I paid a fortune to get the same parts back. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Then I surveyed the damage. It was a wonder he still ran to get me home that night. I started him once earlier this week and the fuel line was broken. Gas streamed all over the engine. I had a heart attack. I could see my beloved car going up in flames taking the new garage I built for him. Would have been a fitting end though! Luckily I noticed early enough to stop the engine and clean up the mess before it got to the exhaust manifold. Thank God!

Today I got him out to clean out his stall. Broken glass and piant chips litted the floor mixed with oil and transmission fluid. I though for a moment about giving up. I fixed the fuel line and he started right up and I backed him out into the driveway. Yehaw! I thought I'll show all my neighbors that he still lives. So I left him running for awhile to charge the battery up while I cleaned the garage.

He must not have been feeling very well yet. After about ten minutes he just stopped. I turned around immediately. I thought this is not good. Something electrical probably. I new the electrical system took a good whack. I tried and tried to get him to refire to no avail. I thought maybe there's a vapor lock in the fuel line somewhere. But I couldn't find any other damage. I tried troubleshooting the electrical system but I kept hitting my head on the damaged hood. I got mad and took the damaged hood off. I was pretty much done anyway. I was gentle though. I liked the pattern on the hood and would like to make a new pattern from it.

After trouble shooting it for a while, the only thing I could find was, what looked like a damaged resistor. It wouldn't ohm out right. Since I'm still not real familiar with the breakerless ignition, I had my doubts. So I took it off and went to the auto parts store to get a new resistor, sport lamp light bulb, and a halogen headlight. After $8 for the resistor and some doubts about the sales clerk at the counter, I came home. I replaced the resistor and my old Mustang fired back to life. That 351C 4V is exciting even sitting still. I was elated! Life is good again!

As if that weren't enough, my higher power delivered another sick old boy into my hands. I'm not sure if he can be saved but I'm getting a '73 Mach 1 in the near future. He's saddle brown, 302 with 11 - 1 pistons. Probably C4, another 9" Detroit locker box, and an awesome interior. I hear he was a screemer in his day. Once again, I'm so happy! I'm so lucky.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to tell my wife about the '73. She read about it. So far so good though. Man I've got a problem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I feel your pain. Once I had a 64 Galaxy that I had gotten back from the paint shop 2 weeks before I hit a cow standing in the road. Much front end damage.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy cow! Literally. Did it ever see the light of day again?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts