Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Finally, after waiting 3 weeks I have received my care package :)

Pretty much everything I need to replace the front suspension. Upper & Lower control arms, strut rod bushing kit, sway bar bushings, spring perches etc - Happy days!

This is the first time I've done anything this major so I may be overthinking this. I could do with some advise please.
All the 'old' stuff is out and the front of the car is up on axle stands. I read somewhere that I shouldn't fully tighten the LCA's until the car is back on the ground. Can someone confirm that for me please?

Is the same true for anything else, end links, ball joints, strut rod (front nut) etc ?

The picture is how it is now. The only thing I have done is replaced the sway bar bushings.

Cheers
Grant

Attachments

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
I read somewhere that I shouldn't fully tighten the LCA's until the car is back on the ground. Can someone confirm that for me please?
Confirmed. Only applies to rubber bushings, though. If you tighten them in the "unloaded" position, they will be twisted when you place weight on the suspension. The inner end of the lower control arm, rear spring eyes, sway bar frame bushings, and centering of idler arms are the only place to worry about this.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Those arent HF jackstands are they?

Reactions: GT_SCODE

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The sway bar end links are often also a lot easier to mount with the car standing on the wheels. With the suspension hanging, the angles will be off and you need an unnecessary long bolt to get the nut on it. The bolt should be mounted with the head down, thread up. So the thread end are safe "inside" the suspension and not hanging below the car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that - I'd had that noted but appreciate the reminder!

The sway bar end links are often also a lot easier to mount with the car standing on the wheels. With the suspension hanging, the angles will be off and you need an unnecessary long bolt to get the nut on it. The bolt should be mounted with the head down, thread up. So the thread end are safe "inside" the suspension and not hanging below the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Boy that picture sure looks familiar! Are you going to take advantage of your car torn down that far and do the Shelby Drop?

...as long as you're already there!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll leave that for now..perhaps in a decade or two :)

Boy that picture sure looks familiar! Are you going to take advantage of your car torn down that far and do the Shelby Drop?

...as long as you're already there!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Urghhhh...wait 3 weeks for stuff from CJ's and I end up with two different colored end links (bushings are black in one set and blue in another). Not the end of the world...but my OCD is tingling...

Also, the strut rod bushing kit gave me some grief. I didn't realise there were two different hole sizes in the washers. One that can go right over the thread and strut and the other that only goes so far as the end of the thread. I was sent 3 of the smaller one and only one larger one! - Thankfully I could use one of the old ones...but still!! (Instructions show the washers installed 'backwards' although I know its the correct way).

One issue I am having is that I can not compress the end link bushings (thermoplastic) enough in order to start the nut. The LCA is free so has heaps of play...I've been told that fitting the end links is something to do with then car is back on the ground, but I can't see how that makes a difference when the LCA is completely free (and I can push it up heaps) at present. Is there a trick to compress the thermoplastic ?

Happy motoring!
Grant
mymustangjourney.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts