Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to equip for the winter's project of going through the engine/trans of my car, and hopefully replacing the seats with high backs. In the last couple weeks I've added the following tools to the arsenal toward the project:

Air compressor
new floor jack
4 jack stands
Impact wrench and deep sockets
Air ratchet
die grinder
air chisel (not necessarily for this project)
new creeper
4 car dollies from harbor freight
sawzall

Last... but certainly not least - SWMBO has already asked when we're setting money aside for the work. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mamma's on board!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Could have used those air tools this weekend when I installed my rear leaf springs...95 ft lbs of torque required on those front mounting bolts! Damn I wish my garage was wired for 240V...I have a air compressor that will run @ that level but the garage isn't wired....any VMFers that are electricians...in the house? lol...thnx had to rant...after those springs....went it...but it was worth the wrenching! ahhh!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Keith:
Buying tools is one of life's great pleasures, IMO!

Why the mechanical work? I thought your car looked and drove pretty well.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car does run and drive fine. The problem is primarily leaks. The transmission leaks, and I have leaks from at least a couple places in the engine. It may be burning oil too, because after a couple days of driving I have to usually add half a quart and I don't think it's leaking that much. If I'm going to pull it, why not go through it and fix it all.

Now I've got this bee in my bonnet about those FRPP crate engines. I may go that route. The other thing I don't like is the exhaust. The trumpets are on crooked, I don't like the sound the trumpets make at idle, and I'd like to have headers to free up the exhaust flow better than the old log manifolds.

Well, if I'm gonna rip into it, I might as well do it once and do it right. That's what I'm thinking anyway. Am I down with a case of pre-emptive while-I'm-at-its?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts