Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the acquisition of my daughters 66 coupe that we’re building together, I have found myself cruising Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for stuff we need, and in turn, selling extras that have been packaged with the stuff I’m hunting.

The unintended side effect has been that I’ve been meeting some really nice, cool people that are in the same spot.

I don’t know if you guys have done similar, but I would love to hear about good finds or cool folks you’ve met in the process.

For me, one that stands out is a cool guy with a 16 year old son who daily drives a 65 coupe and they’re building a 66 fastback together. They have a parts car and what started off as me selling them some extras has turned into me buying original tail light panel and driver’s quarter panel from their parts car. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
My recent experience was finding a 65/66 fastback rear window on Craigslist for $75. I contacted the seller by phone, and we agreed with the deal. He then later called me back feeling bad about selling me the window because it had, to me, an invisible scratch in the glass. I still wanted it, so my son-in-law and I went to pick it up. The seller has a 65 Fastback in his garage with a Coyote engine in it, and the whole car was really nice. We got the glass, and ended up talking with the guy for over an hour about our various car experiences. He's owned other muscle/classic cars in the past, and this Mustang was just another project for him to play around with and couldn't wait to get it on the road.

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a great story!

One thing I’ve learned in 30 or so years of classic Mustang ownership is that it’s less about the steel, rubber and glass, and more about the great people that are involved.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You find cool buyers for the most part. I bought some wheels and tires to get the 66 on the trailer and he had quite a few projects. Had a Cougar that was mostly original and in overall good shape and a few other mustangs and a nice Vette. Easily spent over an hour talking about cars etc.

Oh and I am too busy to swap out your quarter and tail panel.... :) :) But I have a lead on 2 sets of headlamp buckets for us.

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You find cool buyers for the most part. I bought some wheels and tires to get the 66 on the trailer and he had quite a few projects. Had a Cougar that was mostly original and in overall good shape and a few other mustangs and a nice Vette. Easily spent over an hour talking about cars etc.

Oh and I am too busy to swap out your quarter and tail panel.... :) :) But I have a lead on 2 sets of headlamp buckets for us.
hah! Nice. I forgot to mention that I may get the headlight doors and quarter extensions from the same car. Keep me posted though. I may be able to re-home those.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
When I got MyFirstCar back in 1992, the owner was a super nice gentleman that had been buying and selling classic Mustangs and VW Beetles for years. Don was "getting old" and selling the last two cars he had. The 66 I bought, and a 66 I-6 auto convertible in Vintage Burgundy with deluxe Parchment interior and power top, AC, power brakes and wire wheels...I wish I could have bought both cars...being a teen, I was all about the 289 car. He gave me a huge binder with all the original stuff and 25 years of paperwork, and a box with everything to install factory correct power steering if I wanted later...what a classy guy, too.
I moved away to college and needed a small part, and I was referred to an eccentric fellow, a Civil War era relic aficionado with a "huge" collection of classic Fords, especially Mustangs, outside the city. He didn't know me from Adam's house cat, but when I pulled up in my 66 he treated me like an old friend and we have been now for 25+ years, buying parts for each other, trading, swapping stories and feeding each other's car and automobilia habit...
I drove 2 hours each way last year to a map-dot in Georgia to buy a set of original '66 Styled Steel wheels an older gentleman had on his beautiful black '66 Mercury Comet Cyclone. We spent more time talking about cars and life than I did driving that day, and it was worth every minute and every dollar for those wheels because I got the story that came with them...
I also got the story that came with both of the cars I have bought for my sons. One from retired sussessful restaurateur and the other from a retired United States Marine. They both allowed me to buy the cars for less than others had offered because they knew the cars would be cherished for what they really are...an amazing story of all the life and love that can be bound together with the same thread that has woven this country, a thread of every imaginable color and texture, a car that is truly American, and a story that is still being written. Let's go for a drive.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
That’s a great story!

One thing I’ve learned in 30 or so years of classic Mustang ownership is that it’s less about the steel, rubber and glass, and more about the great people that are involved.
I have been searching for parts to complete a 65 T code convertible shell that I purchased. I also acquired the missing back seat for my 65 Fastback along with dozens of other parts. The people whom have been collecting these parts over the years always have amazing car stories to share. I wish I had time to make a book photographing and recording their stories in some type of ethnographic mustang culture book.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Totally off topic, but an interesting quirk of the new software. Since @awhtx posted from Spain he gets a Spanish flag but if your mouse moves over it it still shows the location detail from his profile.

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
VMF is the virtual reality of sitting on the porch with a lifelong Mustang lover and collector, having a great beverage, between sifting through all his spare parts and taking in all the stories.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Some red shop rags, the JY tool kit, an address and a foldy-map used to me de rigueur. Just add cell phones and a navi app to that for today's adventure. The people were always and still are great. All one family with our common interests. I go back to the Charlotte Auto Fest many years back where we were drenched. Seemed like just us hard liners out there, but the mood was great and deals abounded, splashing around like ducks in a pond. Meet you at the gas pumps!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I had mentioned part of this story last year but here goes. I drove out to check on a 66 Fastback for another person. Got there and he had a rusty 66 convertible in the drive, a 69 Cobra Jet and a Fox body racer in one side of his shop and a 64 Falcon in the other side. As we talked on, I mentioned having a 65 Fastback and once owning a 71 Boss 351 almost 40 years ago. He blurted out where I used to live. Turns out he had come by and looked at the car those many decades ago and was the one who told the guy who ended up buying it. We had met 40 years ago.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I really don't buy too much as I just drive my car so I'm mostly about consumables e.g. valve job cause I forgot to put my 6000 RPM chip in the MSD before an Autocross kinda stuff. However, I did get a PM from a guy out of the blue several years ago from a guy (2nd66) asking if I was on 98B this morning. He introduced me to Huskinhano who I knew like I know lots of you from this site but never met. That's the story of the Rat Pack Mutation...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
most of the people I've met through buying / selling / the mustang hobby in general have been great, but there has been one that I regret meeting.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
most of the people I've met through buying / selling / the mustang hobby in general have been great, but there has been one that I regret meeting.
You're leaving us hanging here!

·
Premium Member
4,372 Posts
I used to find and sell a bunch of parts. Back when parts were easier to find. My favorite story was when I found a 68 fm radio in a cougar. Bought it for $60 at a salvage yard. Cleaned it up and repainted the orange dial and sold it for $800 on eBay. Took that money and bought a 67 deluxe interior coupe with no engine for $700. Sold the interior for $800 and then sold the car for $2000. Took that and bought a 67 fastback. Restored that as a 67 Shelby clone and sold it for $16000.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Blake! I've been pretty inactive on here as progress has been slow, but now that I'm about to get the car back from paint I imagine I'll be on more often. Thanks again for the parts!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Meant to respond to this a couple days ago. I’ve had several recent interactions that have been really cool.

First has been more ongoing. A member on here posted about having a ton of classic Mustang parts they wanted to start unwinding that happened to be very close to my location. As I was starting my ‘65 “do over” build, I went over to take a look. I’ve bought a few things from him, but have also really enjoyed getting a ton of little pieces of knowledge that will help me during my rebuild. I’ve gone back several times for more parts, and each time we end up talking for awhile about Mustangs.

Another was a time when positive karma came back around. I was moving from headers to HiPo manifolds as part of my build. I ended up giving my old Tri-Ys and exhaust system to a guy who was trying to get his car together. Fast forward about 9 months, and I saw an ad for a rear windshield for a ‘65 coupe. Mine has a slight chip, so I went to check it out. Turns out it was the same guy that I had given my exhaust to previously...ended up walking out with a good Sun-X tinted rear window for my coupe for free as a a “thank you” for the exhaust. That was pretty neat.

My most recent experience was happening to meet another young guy (30s) who is working on a ‘65 just about 10 minutes from me. He’s doing a much more custom build than I am, but he’s super cool and I imagine we will end up offering a hand to each other since neither of us has anyone local to help us turn a wrench or offer a 2nd set of hands. Beyond finding a gold mine of good original parts, it’s been awesome meeting someone my age who still likes working on these old cars. He’s got more fab skills than me (by far), but I’ve got more classic Mustang background and can help him understand what he’s got.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
5 Posts
How I ended up with my ‘66 A code Fastback is a great example of meeting some great people along the way.

I was a 19 year old college kid (this was back in the mid-late 90’s) who’d gotten the bug for a classic Mustang. Before the Google age you had to do a bit more leg work to get educated on anything you were interested in. If you wanted to learn more, you had to buy books and magazines to read up. Similarly, you’d have to buy magazines and newspapers to cruise the classifieds if you wanted to find a Mustang to buy.

Lucky for me, near the university I was going to was Southwest Classic Mustangs in Arlington, TX. It was a father and son owned shop that sold parts and worked almost exclusively on classic Mustangs only. After classes I would go in there and chat with Larry (the dad) and Steve (the son). I’d be picking their brains about everything I read or wanted to know. They were super gracious and always happy to help educate me on my first classic.

I finally had my sights set on finding a 65-66 Fastback and spent a long time looking at just about any and all that were up for sale. There weren’t many. One day I was in the shop talking with Larry lamenting on how difficult it was to find a fastback that wasn’t trashed or not already “done.” Larry had taken a liking to the kid determined to get a classic. He told me to hang around the shop for a bit so he could introduce me to one of his regulars that comes in for parts. I get introduced to Dan when he came in and Larry tells him my story and asked if he had any leads for me.

Come to find out, Dan was a bit more than a “regular” when it came to 60’s Mustangs. He was had a collection of over 30 Mustangs and various other classic cars. He took me to his storage warehouses as well as his home to show me his collection. Some of the completed cars in his collection included a show winning concours ‘57 Chevy Belair and various other concours Mustangs. At the time, he was mid restoration of a ‘67 GT350 on a rotisserie and an awesome Pantera! He offered me several Mustangs that were still in queue for restoration. There was one he pointed out that was next in line to be restored but, thought was be a perfect candidate for me. Ultimately, he gave me a smoking deal on a tagged and inspected GT that I drove home the next day!

Some time down the road I ended up transferring to a new university and moved away. With that, I eventually loss contact with Larry, Steve and Dan. But had it not been for them paying it forward for this punk kid, there would have been one less classic Mustang lifer in this world.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts