Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like an adventure game huh, LOL(more like a nightmare). Well I have been saving up my pennies and kicking around talking to converter companies for some time. TCI seems to be the track favorite at my track by a long shot.

I'm at a critical point where I have to decide whether to go forward or turn back on my car. I am presently understalled with a loose 10 inch. I get around 2100 on the foot brake and maybe 3000 flash at the most. It is still streetable with this. The problem is that my new, more power motor wants to rev 7000 and doesn't start pulling hard to around 3500. The new motor needs an 8 inch 4500 stall with 3000 rpm hold on the foot brake. If I go forward with that its no more street cruising for Shiela. I have my 93 Bronco so its not a problem unless the truck breaks down and I need to fix it.

From the beginning when I started this I have had a goal to build a respectable 289 car. I would like to get a solid low 12 second et with this setup but I also wanted to keep it at least marginally streetable. Considering that I've seen a few 302 and 289 cars go low 12's and one that will run 10.70's(just motor) I didn't think this would be as hard as it has been.

Last sunday there was a big race at my track and I came across some guys racing a beautiful 65 Comet(Harvey Racing). They pointed me toward a company called Performance Torque Converters(PTC). These guys apparently spun off from TCI and they come very highly recommended. They also quoted me the best price I've found so far. I talked to 3 of their people and they asked a few questions about my car: weight, gear, tire, carb, motor, cam, trap rpm goal. They didn't use any fancy computer program, simulator or whatever. The one guy just asked some other dude who was yelling back in the back ground and came up with a config for me, LOL. Scarey huh. It would be an 8 inch converter with 3000-3500 rpm hold on the foot and 4500-5000 flash, OH MY. He said he hoped I had a good rear end suspension and traction for it, LOL.

I have decided to press forward with this until after I get my mustang painted. At that point I will retire it from racing and rebuild my stock C code motor for it. I also still have my old stock C4 and my old stock third member gears. I will try to find something I can gut out for a race car(Ford Pinto comes to mind or maybe that Courier truck I found).

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg

·
6,970 Posts
I don't understand. After you get your mustang the way you want it, you're going to ditch the entire drivetrain and return it to stock? If so shouldn't you wait to get a t/c until you know what you're moving the drivetrain over to. I thought the weight of the car was part of the equation.

Your 289 looks great, but have you considered just staying with the mustang and getting lower ETs and better streetability with a stroked windsor? I know that's bucks, but owning 2 cars instead of 1 costs money too. Just a thought. And another thought, virtually anything is streetable. If you saw my brother and I riding around in his '70 Chevelle with a built LS6, racing gas, fiberglass body, full cage, and wheelie bars sticking out the back, you'd know what I mean.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Going from a 10" to 8" converter is a big change....

I would suggest ladder bars or a 4 link mounted on a 9" rear end, likely narrowed, to utilize the performance this change will make...

Or, spend some time with the stock eliminator guys at NHRA class races and learn how they do it with leaf springs and pinion snubbers...

The quickest my car ever ran with a 289/302 was in the 11.20's at 120 mph....that was with an A1 4500rpm stall 8" converter....it should be noted however, that the rest of the car is markedly different from yours...

My advice is to leave your street car mild to stock and build a race car for racing (even if it is licensed and streetable)....take it from somebody who has what would be a lovely 65FB if it weren't for a full chassis, narrowed rear, huge tires, no interior....well you get my drift...I'd never gut a FB again...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts