Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang 302 V8 C4 Automatic
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months, I have been on a quest to find an eight track player for my 1970 Mustang. Why you may ask? Its because I have want to have a period correct interior for the car itself. Currently, it have a silver cassette player stereo that only works on one FM station(Pictures are down below). It sounds alright, but not entirely good. I should also mention that it doesn't seem to fit the general styling of the car with its blue buttons, gray trim, etc. Another reason that I want to make the switch to an 8 track is because I inherited a box of 8 tracks from my grandpa and I want to play them in my car when I do get an 8 track(Shown below). Anyways, I have had no luck at swapmeets or online. Most of the 8 track players I have found online are from cougars and cost up to 600 bucks. So, I am looking for some help. I need information on where else I could try and find an eight track player for either a 1969 Mustang or 1970 Mustang. I would really appreciate the help! Thanks! (A reference for what type of 8 track player I am looking for is down below)
20200114_171858.jpg
20200114_172519.jpg
20200127_150622.jpg
Mustang 8 Track.jpg

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang 302 V8 C4 Automatic
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check this guys website out on 8-Tracks.
if you find one for your Stang he can refurbish it.
View attachment 742960
I forgot to mention that I need something that is in California in the LA area. If I lived in Arizona, I would use them

·
Registered
794 Posts
Please may I add a word of caution, to set your expectations:
Those are your (and your grandpa's) cherished 8-tracks. I grew up on 8-tracks. In fact, anytime I listen to Chicago 2, I STILL mentally hear the track changes today where they were in the 70s. The tape in your 8 tracks are about 50 years old. They are now much more brittle than they used to be. There will be drop outs. Set your expectations very low, as in: "I hope I get to hear the whole album before the tape breaks." Every play you get is a gift. They won't last long unless they've been stored under a nitrogen blanket at 60 degrees. I'm making that last part up, but you get the idea.

I listen to vinyl a lot. At vinyl stores, I can get cassettes for crazy cheap prices, usually around a buck or two. I'll pop the cassette into my deck and set my computer to record it because I usually only get one or two plays before it wobbles out. Until recently, my 'stang had a cassette player from the 80s. (Made for mustangs, no dash chop!) It was common for it to eat the cassette so I had to stop playing anything "precious." Once you get an 8 track player, go to a vinyl store and buy some "throw away" 8 tracks to test first. (I recommend Engelbert Humperdink, but you might reallly dig him.) Do all of your set up/verification on your non-grandpa 8 tracks first.

Having a Grande is cool! I think having an 8 track player is great! Just don't be too disappointed. "They don't make'em like they used to"...and for a good reason!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Those are your (and your grandpa's) cherished 8-tracks. I grew up on 8-tracks. In fact, anytime I listen to Chicago 2, I STILL mentally hear the track changes today where they were in the 70s. The tape in your 8 tracks are about 50 years old. They are now much more brittle than they used to be. There will be drop outs. Set your expectations very low, as in: "I hope I get to hear the whole album before the tape breaks." Every play you get is a gift. They won't last long unless they've been stored under a nitrogen blanket at 60 degrees. I'm making that last part up, but you get the idea.

I listen to vinyl a lot. At vinyl stores, I can get cassettes for crazy cheap prices, usually around a buck or two. I'll pop the cassette into my deck and set my computer to record it because I usually only get one or two plays before it wobbles out. Until recently, my 'stang had a cassette player from the 80s. (Made for mustangs, no dash chop!) It was common for it to eat the cassette so I had to stop playing anything "precious." Once you get an 8 track player, go to a vinyl store and buy some "throw away" 8 tracks to test first. (I recommend Engelbert Humperdink, but you might reallly dig him.) Do all of your set up/verification on your non-grandpa 8 tracks first.

Having a Grande is cool! I think having an 8 track player is great! Just don't be too disappointed. "They don't make'em like they used to"...and for a good reason!!
I pulled boxes of old 8-tracks out of the folks garage a couple years ago. Also had a working player. Not a car stereo just a radioshack am fm 8-track stereo from the 70's. I was about 75% for working or not with the tapes. I only played a song or two then listed the ones that worked on ebay. Sold the ones that played on ebay with a disclaimer describing my process then gave the player to goodwill. It was fun playing with them. No idea how long they continued to work. Kinda like the Apple IIe I pulled out of the garage at the same time.

OP Good luck on your quest. It would be fun to have.

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
I'm with ya! Go for it. Some of my best memories are of the Four Seasons, Platters etc., on 8 track.

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
224 Posts
I did not get to drive with an 8 track but my first stereo was my dads old RCA 8 track player, man i wish i still had all those old tapes. i did inherit my aunts vinyl collection and turn table, man there are some great ones in there from the 60' and 70's.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I bought an 8-track for the 67 coupe a while back when I came across a deal. I had planned to gut a cassette (still looking for a Led Zepplin I in decent shape) and put an FM transmitter in it. That's how long ago this was. Now I would just put an ESP with Bluetooth in there and call it a day. Still get the look and have the modern connectivity.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
you can try that Thief Perogies in NJ

also west coast classic cougar has a lot of mustang parts and will be more reasonable. Ive bought used parts from them a lot of times

also Wards Radio might be able to sell you one outright

·
Registered
431 Posts

That's a very good point. There are actually quite a few places selling repair kits for 8-track cartridges. Not the magnetic tape itself, but the other components. Which might be the real reason the tape breaks. There's also some vids on youtube.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts