Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really got to admit one thing! If you ain't got a 15 yr old to drive your stang while you watch, you ain't really having any fun! Everytime I get in the stang and my youngest (15 1/2) drives it (66/289/4v) I get more joy out of watching the big grin on his face (especially when his buddies see him driving it) than I do when I drive it. I think this really makes it worthwhile for me. All the assbusting/cuts/bruises/sore back/banged up body parts/did I mention too many $$$'s/aggrivation that go with having an unrestored vehicle and bringing it to completion really does pay off if you have a youngester to let drive it! (sorry Johnpro, he hasn't crashed it yet... :p so I haven't gotten to "enjoy" that part of re-restoration, yet :: ). I never cease to amaze when he says to me "you really trust me with this"? Yes, son I do! What does it for you guys/gals? ::

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I can relate!

My oldest (15 y/o girl) had her final day of driver's ed last week. She drove to class in Swmbo's 87 GT 'vert (with the top down of course). She couldn't believe that we let her drive THAT car. It was SO COOL, because several of her friends (and not so friends) were all out in front of school as she drove up!!! :: :: :: Of course, I had cleaned and re-polished the car the night before, so it was looking really good. Definitely a "Proud Poppa" moment (for the kid and the car)! ::

She had been practicing with our 01 Explorer, and was doing "Ok" with that. She actually did a much better job driving the Mustang, and even commented about how much easier it was to drive. I had scared her away from using much accelerator pedal though! ::

Will she drive the 65? I've always said "NO", but if they have the "HS kids" class at the local car show........ ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Sorry, I can't imagine doing that.... it would make what's left of my hair turn gray and fall out! Also, considering that when my eldest is 15 1/2, Shari will be 49, I don't think it's going to happen.

The real joy for me is when a non-"car person" goes out of their way at a stop light or something to tell me that I have a cool car, or when someone walking down the street turns around to watch me pass, that brings a huge grin to my face.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
From the other end of the spectrum, us teenagers really do appriciate it when you let us drive your old cars, no matter what kind of car it is. The 75 camaro is the only old car I'm ever around that actually drives. So when i get a chance to drive it, I jump in. It's just such a thrill. so thanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My daughters are 2 and 5, and though they haven't gotten a chance to drive it yet, I sure get a kick out of it when they sit in the driver's seat while I'm working on it and pretend to be driving.

I'm looking forward to letting my oldest daughter drive it to her high school prom. Alone of course. ;)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
After my daughter got her permit, she was afraid to drive my Stang because of the power, manual brakes, and the fact that I cherish it. However, if I ever had to pick her up from school or her church group, she wanted me to bring it so her friends could see it. One day I came to pick her up at school. As I rumbled into the lot, all eyes were on the Stang and she had a big grin. Then I stopped right in front of her, hopped out, tossed her the keys and sat in the passenger seat. After she got over the shock, she did her best to act like this was a common occurance in front of her friends, then she hopped in, fired her up, and VERY conservatively drove off. After she was well out of sight of the school, she pulled over and asked me to drive. Bottom line: a simple drive in my car turned into an experience she'll never forget, and I'm now known to her and her friends as a cool Dad.

Hmmmm ... try to duplicate THAT experience in some modern, generic car!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
You've just privided me with another reason to keep building mustangs - for my sons! I bet I can have one or two done by the time oldest son Jack is ready to drive - in 8 years ! :: Dickson

·
Registered
306 Posts
Part of the reason that I am restoring my 66 now is so that I can help my kids restore their own classics when they get older. My daughters name is Shelby, can you guess what I have planned for her? ::

·
Registered
466 Posts
for me, its driving the car my dad restored for me. the best comment i got was on the VERY first time i filled it up with gas. i was filling it up and dad went into pay for the gas, the guy asked him "Why are you letting your son drive YOUR beautiful mustang?" "im not, thats his car." ":eek:!! are you kidding?" "nope" but a better filling is just riding in his 34 coupe and all the looks we get driving down the road. :: i love sitting at a stop light on the inside lane and watch all the ppl drool over my car or try so hard to see it as they drive by.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I let my little sister drive my 65 coupe for a good 6-8 months, then the 72 for aalmost 2 months. Beside the fact she was so careful driving not to wreck it etc, she became a better and careful driver.

I loved the looks from others (when i drove behind her) that she would get. She really liked driving the cars even though more than once she flooded the carb when starting the car and had to call big bro.

Half the time i swear she must've done it on purpose so that guys would stop and 'help her out'.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My daughter turns 15 on the 30th and she will be learning to drive in my 66 convertible. It's small, and an automatic. My New Beetle is a 5sp and the only other automatic in the family is my wifes Minivan, ech! She will need to learn to drive a manual trans car, but I figure the automatic would be better to start with to get down the basics.

G

·
0 Posts
I really enjoy the looks and thumbs up when I drive down the road in the 70 Mach 1. I'm single and don't have any kids to let drive the car but I do have a small problem. I have a 14 yr old female neighbor that is in love with my car. My problem is she has talked me into letting her drive the Mach 1 when she gets her licence. The time is getting closer. ::

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I've got two boys, aged 8 and 10 and they absolutely insist on taking the Mustang whenever we go anywhere. They tell me that their friends think it's the coolest car in town. I always end up giving Mustang rides to their friends at school or on the Hockey team. One compliment I thought was really great was from a 15 year old niece, she said "wow, that's like a Bond car"
I think it's wonderful how people from 6 to whatever can get so excited about the style of the old Mustang, it certainly is a compliment to the original designers that all these years later it can still invoke such praise from every age group. :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
I haven't let my kids drive the stang yet, but they both know how to start it, youngest is 10 and loves to rev it up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts