Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, here goes nothing....so this is the car I bought it back in summer of 2017 finally ready to start building so I figured nows the beat time to start the build thread.

So like a lot of people I thought when I got the car just a few patches here and there...well that was not what it was....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I started by pulling the straight 6 and the c4 out of it. Not sure yet about weather or not I’m keeping them. I am not the type for speed or anything like that, I just like to drive around and enjoy my car. So not putting a new engine in means on the road faster so that’s why I might stick with those two after I rebuild them

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I started the build outside because of the ridiculous rust once I stripped the interior and got the floor and seats and carpet out, I realized just how much rust there was and decided it was better to Strip it outside. So once the interior was out and the drivetrain I decide to start removing all the rusty sheet metal from the car at first just drilling the spot welds and grinding. So probably just floorpan patches, frame rail patches, and a passenger side quarter panel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So once I started to remove the metal I realized I needed to do everything... so what started with the patches turned into. Full front frame rails and aprons both sides, both front torque boxes, radiator support, front crossmembers, full floorpan, firewall, trunk floor, tail light panel, quarter panel, cowl,... anyway here’s the pictures of the car after I chopped the metal off

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so finally the car is chopped up and all the dirty work is done the car is a bare shell and the only thing left is the doors to keep the cars stable... so anyway now that the rust and the “dirty” part is done or so I thought I brought it into the garage finally. Even though once I started sanding and stripping the paint before primer the garage was covered in dust... anyway here are pictures of the Bare shell and of the body stripped to bare metal and then primed again...

So I primed the whole car except for the doors because those will be primed and painted when the come apart so I can re do the inside of the door, the whole mechanicals...anyway don’t hate my painting skills. I know I’m not as good as some of you at painting but I still try.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyways, so besides cutting the metal off the car and priming it, I stripped the whole car the engine, transmission the whole interior, the whole dash, front end and rear and so not it’s just on jack stands in the garage

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyways now to where we are currently, so I just got to the big milestone today I got all the parts in today to finish the whole car. So I ordered all the sheet metal to finish the bodywork from a local Dynacorn distributor it all came in today it’s rlly great quality stuff so here’s some pics of all the parts that came in today.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now that I have all the body parts the plan now is to weld everything in, get it primed and painted and then start putting the car back together. I have the color picked out already candy apple red!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Cool project. Good luck. If I were to do it again I’d do a whole floor pan/trunk setup from Dynacorn for a convertible GT.

Would save a TON of time. But looks like you went piece by piece like I did. Live and learn. I’m guessing you may agree after this is all said and done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed I will be doing that on my next project a 68 convertible that’s petty rusty..but I couldn’t tell in the pictures are the rear frame rails apart of that?

Cool project. Good luck. If I were to do it again I’d do a whole floor pan/trunk setup from Dynacorn for a convertible GT.

Would save a TON of time. But looks like you went piece by piece like I did. Live and learn. I’m guessing you may agree after this is all said and done.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yes. Rear frame rails, transition pan crossmember, torque boxes and even the rear half of the front frame rails are all included/assembled. Hell, even the seat pans are installed.

It’s not too late to add the inner convertible rockers and seat pan to your coupe. I added both to my fastback and it stiffened the whole car up remarkably. If I jack up the left rear tire of the car for example the front left tire will lift simultaneously with the rear once the suspension is compressed. Prior to the vert inner rockers/torque boxes being installed I could jack one side of the rear up as high as my floor jack would go and both front tires would still be resting on the ground.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. Rear frame rails, transition pan crossmember, torque boxes and even the rear half of the front frame rails are all included/assembled. Hell, even the seat pans are installed.

It’s not too late to add the inner convertible rockers and seat pan to your coupe. I added both to my fastback and it stiffened the whole car up remarkably. If I jack up the left rear tire of the car for example the front left tire will lift simultaneously with the rear once the suspension is compressed. Prior to the vert inner rockers/torque boxes being installed I could jack one side of the rear up as high as my floor jack would go and both front tires would still be resting on the ground.
I obviously have them on my convertible and they look like they’re about 2 inches larger going towards the center...is this true or Is this just me? If I changed to the convertible rockers I would need to trim the full floor pan correct?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like a good project. I'm working on something very similar, but I make slow progress; I haven't done much to mine in the last couple of years and decided I needed to get back to work on it. I got my '68 coupe in May 2015; got the engine running; found low compression in one of the cylinders (looked like something had gotten sucked into the cylinder sometime previously); rebuilt the engine (which broke the transmission); rebuilt the transmission; drove it for a while; decided to start working on the body. Upon tear-down, I found much of the same hidden damage (looking back, it was not a good idea to even have it on the road in the condition that it was in). Maybe I should try to move mine to the Build Forum... if that can even be done? Here's my thread.

I'm looking forward to following your progress!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I looked at your 1st picture, I thought...looks like a solid car. And like many of us you discovered the evil within :eek:. Safe to guess you are no stranger to this. Looking forward to following along.
Brian, it seemed very solid all I thought was the quarter and the drivers side front floor pan patch and maybe a small frame rail patch once I got into it and got the frame rails off it just started from there then I realized the firewall and torque boxes and so many other things needed to be done!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I too looked at the first few pics and thought it was a better project than what I started with. Either way I love to see them brought back no matter if its a coupe or fastback. Looking forward to seeing the new panels come together.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I too looked at the first few pics and thought it was a better project than what I started with. Either way I love to see them brought back no matter if its a coupe or fastback. Looking forward to seeing the new panels come together.
Can’t wait for them to go in...I agreed nothing better than bringing it back from the dead.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I obviously have them on my convertible and they look like they’re about 2 inches larger going towards the center...is this true or Is this just me? If I changed to the convertible rockers I would need to trim the full floor pan correct?
Yes. The vert inner rockers are about 2-3” wide. Your coupe floor pans should have a 90* flange in each side that are designed to spot/rosette weld to the sides of your current inner rocker. To use your coupe floor pan with the vert inner rockers simple trim 1/8” off each side of the floor pan and weld it to the BOTTOM of the vert inner rocker.

The vert seat pans are one piece instead of two that get welded to not only the pan itself but also the vert inner rockers.

Only real compromise is you’ll have to use convertible carpet and kick panels once it’s that time (no big deal) but your car will be much stiffer than one with just subframe connectors.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here are a couple pics I took when adding the vert inner rockers to my fastback:

No vert inner rocker:

Vert inner rocker and lower torque box added:

This shows how the vert seat pan spans the width of the inner rockers (it’s just resting there, the front of the seat pan should line up with the rear flange of the front frame rail):

This is the rear of the front right wheel well showing how the vert rocker gets welded on:

And with the lower torque box installed:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts