Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
How are you going to located the floor supports?
So tomorrow I’m going to mock everything up like the fire wall the cowl both torque boxes the floor supports and the frame rails/aprons so while everything’s mocked up I’m going to take the measurements and mark the holes for the welds I’m not sure yet though weather or not I’m going to put the holes in the floor support and weld it to the floor pan or weather I’m going to put the holes in the floor and weld to the floor supports so not sure but either way whilst everything is screwed and clamped Into place I’ll figure it out and mark for my spot welds!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I concur with Dave. Seems like the more of the floor that gets welded in the more misaligned it seemed to get. If you put the holes in the floor you stand a good chance that they won’t line up with the support once you start tweaking. If you put the holes in the support there’s a 100% chance the weld will be smack dab in the middle of the support flange where it’s supposed to be.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I concur with Dave. Seems like the more of the floor that gets welded in the more misaligned it seemed to get. If you put the holes in the floor you stand a good chance that they won’t line up with the support once you start tweaking. If you put the holes in the support there’s a 100% chance the weld will be smack dab in the middle of the support flange where it’s supposed to be.
Well that’s why I’m here...I appreciate it that’s what I will do then!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So I got the torque boxes welded in and the fire wall and cowls clamped/screwed into place. This weekend the plan is to screw up the front clip that I built on the floor and then once everything lines up and fits the plan is to weld it in one piece at a time

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The front clip is now built(just screwed together ). So hopefully this weekend I can get it mocked up on the car to line everything up and tweak it. Then everything comes apart and is welded in order of how it goes back together!

·
Registered
407 Posts
So then you bolt up the export brace and that give you your top point. Do the frame rails only fit onto the floor supports one way? Interested because I may be in the same predicament one of these days.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So then you bolt up the export brace and that give you your top point. Do the frame rails only fit onto the floor supports one way? Interested because I may be in the same predicament one of these days.
The floor supports weld to the one piece frame rails/aprons and then it all slides in

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are your floor/firewall welded in? From the 2nd picture in #47, it looks like your floor is below the firewall. Shouldn’t it sit on top of the firewall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Are your floor/firewall welded in? From the 2nd picture in #47, it looks like your floor is below the firewall. Shouldn’t it sit on top of the firewall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing is welded in yet...but the floor was under the firewall in that picture I just dropped the fire wall in to see what it looked like. But now it’s on top of the fire wall and boy does it make a difference!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts