Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a good day. I fixed something by myself that I've never done before--replaced the brake light switch on my coupe. At our show in March, my friends noticed that my brake lights weren't working. I've put off fixing them mainly because the car wasn't going anywhere and there was a lot of other stuff going on. However, I'm planning on driving my coupe on the Pony Trails at the Utah show next month, so brake lights would be good to have.

I figured it was the switch because all the other lights were working and it was the original switch. Gee, you think Ford would make a part last longer than 36 years. ::

I do have a shop manual, so working with that and by checking my fastback's set-up, I was able to get the lights working again. I would have killed for a tilt wheel on my coupe, however!

I know there are some people here who will think big deal, so I changed out a brake light switch. Well, it is to me, because I've never done it before. The coupe's switch was original, and I couldn't help with the install on my fastback because we did it right after my hip operation and that wouldn't have been the smartest thing to do at that time. So, this was a good day. I even got a lot done on Trouble's trunk! ::

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
good job..not an easy task...next thing you know people will be dropping off engines in your yard for a Laurie rebuild..*LOL*

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
you are really getting into this do it yourself stuff lately!!!! good to hear you had a good day on the cars,I went to a show today and all the winners were chebbies. bad town to go to a show with a Mustang.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I don't have much choice anymore. If I want to finish Trouble, it's all on me. So, I'm working forward from the trunk. ::

Gee, another show where the best car didn't win. ;)

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
brake pedal makes a good pillow doing that job but i doubt you would fall asleep.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I like to see a woman with the initiative to try (and succeed) auto maintenance. Way to go Laurie!!!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Lotsa fun, isn't it (Yeah, fun we could do without!)? I'd say the ol' neck may not like it too. Are you going to keep
the old broken switch as a momento?

Happy Wrenching!

Dean T

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joyce, I'm counting the days down to your show (I bet you are, too!) and can't wait. Looks like I'll be a convoy of one from Tucson, so if Kevin is driving up on Wednesday, I'd be interested in doubling convoy size. ::

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about keeping it for a minute or two, but I also was in a garage cleaning out mood, so I got rid of it. I did check out the differences between it and the Motorcraft replacement switch. The main thing was the color of the spring. The original is blue, and the replacement is gold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts