Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've read like a million posts here discussing which front springs to use to lower the front of a 65. But still can't figure out what to believe. I hear the stories about putting in lowering springs and actually raising the front end.
So, what is the real deal? Which springs, from which vendor, really will lower the front 1" on a 65 coupe, with V-8, A/C, auto tranny car without doing a Shelby drop?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I'm not sure, but you should do the shelby drop (which is actually a suspension geometry fix, not a car drop)

·
Registered
579 Posts
interested to hear peoples thoughts also as i have registration issues concerning the shelby drop

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I had six cyl front springs in and the front didn't drop with -1" "620" springs.

colby said:
interested to hear peoples thoughts also as i have registration issues concerning the shelby drop
That modification has been tried million times.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by registration issues. Unless you mean Shelby's assistant Sue Happy.

The 1" upper control arm drop should be called Arning drop as Ford engineer Klaus Arning designed that to complement IRS.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
BINGO!!!!, Let's all call it the Arning drop. Great idea, and gee, no law suits either!

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
The springs you currently have (if they are old) will have compressed, therefore when you put new springs in they could cause the front end to be higher or lower. The 1" drop is referenced to the stock new car height.

Go to Mustang Steve's website and look at the drive height page (www.mustangsteve. com). You will get a quick idea of whether your car's front end will go up or down. All measurements on his page are given from the wheel's center point to the fender lip so the measurements are independent of tire or wheel size.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
On my '65 I have had two sets of the progressive rate springs that Mustangs Plus sells. One was the 390/520 lbs/in version and the other is the 480-690 lbs/in I've got now. Both lowered the front end about 1", and I ended up cutting about 1/2 coil off both for more lowering. Although it's not a good pic for showing ride height, my sig pic shows the 390/520's before I cut the coils.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, John, why did you change from the 390/520's to the 480/690's?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know why, but I can't get on Mustang Steve's site!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
quote; Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by registration issues. Unless you mean Shelby's assistant Sue Happy.

The 1" upper control arm drop should be called Arning drop as Ford engineer Klaus Arning designed that to complement IRS.[/quote]
In Australia when we register our cars under historic reg the authorities take a dim view to drilling holes in the body even if Carrol shelby said it was ok, so unless it is a genuine shelby there is no way i could do that with the vehicle inspectors we currently have here!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
colby said:
In Australia when we register our cars under historic reg the authorities take a dim view to drilling holes in the body even if Carrol shelby said it was ok.....
Unless the inspectors are specifically looking at and measuring for this specific suspension mod, then I would weld up and finish the original holes.

John

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
erbssr said:
So, John, why did you change from the 390/520's to the 480/690's?
I had some fillings that needed loosening. Seriously, I wish I had not done it. The car handles really well, I think, but it's pretty harsh. OTOH I'm going to swap out the KYB's someday, and maybe that will cure it.

btw the name is Bill.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
colby said:
In Australia when we register our cars under historic reg the authorities take a dim view to drilling holes in the body even if Carrol shelby said it was ok, so unless it is a genuine shelby there is no way i could do that with the vehicle inspectors we currently have here!
Oh, I see. We can do the drop to older vehicles if they are just normally registrated. Suspension pick up points can be changed if it is still bolted as original. Newer ones with all kinds of EU type approval stuff is harder. Also, I think that in our "museum" registry one can do the drop. They allow some changes if the change is sort of period correct.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts