Vintage Mustang Forums banner

The value of staight vs. cloned

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
I am curious as to other peoples opinions on the end value of a restoration done staight (as it came out of the factory) vs. a Shelby clone. I realize that there are a lot of you out there that think it should be 'clown' and not clone, but putting your personnal prefferences aside, which one would have the highest resale value? (Let's say both started out as 'plain jane' A code 4 spds and both were a #2 car afterwards)

#3 ·
If the car is in 'original shape' that is, isn't crashed badly, then original may be a better choice. However, in my situation, I basically rescued this thing from the grave, so anything goes *G*.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

G
#4 ·
People will tell tou that their car was appraised at $XXXX but that doesn't always mean they will get that much. It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. That's when the personal perference thing comes onto play.

Rick Bombard
[color:green]1971 Grabber Green Metallic Mach 1 351C/4V Ram Air</font color=green>
[color:eek:range]1973 Medium Copper Metallic Convertible 302/2V</font color=orange>
Photos? GoTo:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1576259&a=11998051&f=0

#5 ·
I think a restomod driver can bring just as much money as a concourse driver. The key here is driver. A lot of people who want to drive a Mustang don't know or care that it has some slight modifications, as long as they are tastefully done. For instance, disk brakes, pertronix or bigger sway bar could only be viewed as a plus. But 15x10 wheels, wild paint, or side pipes might attract the highschoolers, but it will probably turn the folks with money away.

If it improves the drivability of the car, it has to improve the value. And if it looks like a Shelby instead of a 6 cylinder plain jane, how can that hurt?

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

#6 ·
Most of the well-done Shelby clones bring just about as much as a restored stocker in the same condition. That having been said, people don't create clones that will be trailer queens, they do it as an alternative to driving a real $50k restored GT350 around. So - most clones fall into the class of 'very clean drivers'. When you compare one to a trailered or driven concours car, I have to agree with Charles - the concours car is worth more. But compared to a stock 'very clean driver', I'd say they're worth roughly the same.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I%

#7 ·
Hey, don't diss on my 6-cylinder Mustang! =)

#8 ·
My opinion is that the stock restorations are easier to sell than a modified. Personalized restomods / clones can be great, but mods that you just love may turn a potential buyer away. Keep it tasteful and mild (and preferably reversible) and you'll be well off - Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

#9 ·
That one can be debated since what is "original" and what is "modified" ?

Disc brakes, 5 speed, Cobra aluminum intake, rear gears, aluminum heads, wider SS wheels with nice meaty tires. Some people may look at those and see those mods as acceptable but to the concours guy they are unacceptable.

How about a color change on a car? On anything other than a concourse car changing from an unpopular color to a popular color I think would be a bonus.

And as always...comparisons must be made on equivalent quality cars. It is not fair to compare a concours winner to a nice driver.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

#10 ·
its tasters choice. Which has more value to you? Which has more value to the buyer is strictly dependant on the buyer. You will spend more on the clone.

James

66 Candyapple Red Fastback 200 I6
Needs interior, paint and maybe some Clifford Performance goodies

#11 ·
Here's my weigh-in.....Cloning is the sincerest form of flattery (imitation)

Clones have their place. I have seen some really nice ones, but should always be represented as clones, not fobbed off as originals. For the most part, clone owners have recognized this and the situation has improved drastically over the years. Look at the Cobra situation! Clones make REAL cars worth even more!

My observation is that you need to look at you total investment including DEPRECIATION!

Clones depreciate at a much faster rate than originals! Said another way...even if both cars are appreciating in value, the clone WILL appreciate at a lower rate.

The trap many people get into is putting too much $$ into the car relative to the direction of the "Market". You might be driving a REAL $50K car around but if you crash it or worse yet it gets stolen...then guess what...it's really WORTH $50K. If your driving a clone you have put $40K into to make it LOOK like a REAL $50K car and the same happens. How much is it worth? To you? To the insurance company? What happens when you need to sell it....what basis is there for a price? Since there are more clones than real ones...what are they worth relative to your investment?

The point is,...if you can,...always spend you time and money on an original. Consider it an investment,..you'll get you money back and guess what...when people ask if it's real you get to say...."why yes,...why do you ask"?

I guess at the end of the day you have to ask yourself WHY YOU DO THIS? If it makes YOU happy then do it! That's all that matters anyway.

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

#12 ·
I have never chosen or built a a car for the purpose of building value ($). That's pretty hard to do considering the cost of restoring, restomoding and cloning. I have a 67 GT350 Clone and never try to pass it off as the real thing. I'd rather drive it. In fact, I'm currently adding performance suspension as I replace all the springs, shocks, A-arms etc. The 70 SCJ will also be a driver although I am restoring it to concours just to say that I can! I'll have so much money in that one that I'll never get it all back. So, I'll drive it as well. My 95 has twice as much in it as I could get for it...maybe even more than that. But, it gives me a different kind of driving pleasure that the early models do not. Not better...just different. So IMHO you should do what is going to make you smile as you drive down the street.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1579523&a=12014261&p=43408164&f=0.jpghttp://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1579523&a=12014261&p=43361681&f=0.jpg
67GT350 Clone/70 SCJ-R Sportsroof/95GT Modified

#14 ·
As a pst owner of each style of car I thing we are dicussion a very wide class of car. If you mean a really well done clone with all the right parts (not all orginal parts though) I would suggest that you would have more $$'s in the clone but if you could find a buyer who liked and wanted each car the value would be very similar

Of course this assumes that the restored fastback is a popular color and the clone is a real clone not just some hot rod :)

Just my little opinion

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

G
#15 ·
If you take a straight car and strip it to bare metal. Paint it with just the correct
amount of orange peel. Put brand new exact same color carpet, seats ect. Brand new glass with
reproduced date codes that match your car. perfect reproduction decals. get a brand new
version of an old battery. overspray paint and undercoating in the right places. Get some
bias ply low quality tires. get a grease pencil and paint brush and pretend you are an
assembly line worker merrily painting daubs and stripes on all the right places... you too
can be a purist. Your car will be a valuable "original"
However...(cough.cough) manipulating the destiny created by your data plate and all of
it's permutations will throw you into the lot of the great unwashed.. the clone people. GASP!
Ruined mustangs cluttering the driveways across America. God help us all.
I vote with the clones.
jimbo
This was written in fun.
really.

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43366578&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.