Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched this. I posted a video by him before about the Saleen S7. The CRT screen in the dashboard is amazing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I remember hearing about them. Never knew they ever produced any.

I don't remember it being that ugly...

Dougs voice and speach pattern is like finger nails on a chalkboard. So hard to watch his videos.

the CRT in the vector must have inspired Elon

Thanks for posting. Can't believe I watched the whole thing. Seems so freakin long ago.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Looks like that thing got DIGDUGed into the the new tesla. lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When he showed the engine, it is transverse and not longitudinal. According to Wikipedia, they used a heavily modified transmission used in the Oldsmobile Toronado which was front-wheel drive with a V8 engine. But looking at pictures of the Toronado engine, it is still longitudinal even though it is front-wheel drive. Unless later models than the one I was looking at made the engine transverse. I think the late 1980's Cadillacs had a transverse V8 with front-wheel drive before the Northstar engine came out.

And only an automatic option, so I guess those gearboxes were never made as a manual.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I tried to like DeMuro... can't. Just can't. Can't stand listening to him go through the same spiel with every ho-hum POS he looks at. Such pure let's-milk-this-for-all-the-youtube-time-possible it's tedious. Hoovie is better, except for his dumb-ass act, which may actually not be an act, I don't know.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
They built them in Wilmington California. When I was at JBA our fabrication manager went over there for a tour while they were putting together the W8 cars. Said it was pretty much over the top.....
Vector Aeromotive is still an operating company these days as far as I know.
The Demuro guy in the video is pretty annoying.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
When he showed the engine, it is transverse and not longitudinal. According to Wikipedia, they used a heavily modified transmission used in the Oldsmobile Toronado which was front-wheel drive with a V8 engine. But looking at pictures of the Toronado engine, it is still longitudinal even though it is front-wheel drive.

When he showed the engine, it is transverse and not longitudinal. According to Wikipedia, they used a heavily modified transmission used in the Oldsmobile Toronado which was front-wheel drive with a V8 engine. But looking at pictures of the Toronado engine, it is still longitudinal even though it is front-wheel drive.
The TH425's had a separate differential, unlike modern FWD transmissions where it is integrated as a transaxle. Thus they could position the final drive how they liked. That said, I wouldn't mind having a look under the car to see HOW exactly they did that.

I liked how he has no idea why the car has such wide "sills".

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So for all you Doug fans out there, he has done a follow-up video on his other channel where he actually drives it. He says it still seems fast, but the 3 speed automatic gearbox does not really suit the turbocharged engine. The gearbox does not want to kick down when you floor the accelerator and you have to wait for the engine to get going before the rapid acceleration starts to happen. Shame they could not have done a manual gearbox option.

And by coincidence, another channel I follow has done a short documentary video on the Oldsmobile Toronado.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
Are there "Doug fans"? Or are they people who just put up with him because the cars are interesting?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I must be the only person that likes Doug and his videos. I think he is quite likeable and I find his videos entertaining. He really goes into detail with his reviews and manages to get hold of some quite unusual and rare cars.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
I think what bugs me is that he comes across as a car "fanboy". Knows all the numbers and such out of magazines about this and that car but open a hood and put a wrench in his hand and he's completely lost. Those types have always annoyed me. Just my impression. Doesn't help that he spent like 15 minutes looking at dashboard gizmos and gave us about a 5 second shot of the engine.

Come to think of it, that's what my wife does. She's all about what the buttons on the dash do and could care less about what's under the hood.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I have pics I took at the San Francisco auto show about 1978 of the Vector W2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts