Vintage Mustang Forums banner

The weirdo car guys were afoot

3593 68
It's not unusual to get a little attention while driving these old cars and I try to be gracious about it even when someone is an idiot. Hell, the attention is a big reason to bother owning it - it's fun.

But last Friday morning I was driving it to work and it got downright weird. Twice. First, I was at a light where two six-lane roads intersect, and a dude two lanes over in a truck starts yelling out his window "I have a sixty five--" and immediately a car stopped between us. The light turned green instantly, I took off, and laughed for half a block.

I've had some version of that happen at least 50 times over the years. But then two miles and 5 minutes later was the real absurdity. I was in the middle lane, stopped at another VERY busy intersection daydreaming and listening to the radio. All of a sudden there's a guy standing in the road talking to me through the passenger window. I hadn't seen him coming at all. Panhandlers work this particular intersection all the time, and that was my instant assumption. But this dude was dressed business-casual and had gotten out of his car, a couple cars back, to ask me what year mine is and another 10 seconds of generic talk. I was so shocked I don't even remember what he said.

Any other live ones out there?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8,154 Posts
I had a guy approach me at a gas station in Wickenburg, AZ while I was filling up. Proceeds to tell me he had one just like mine. Except his was a 67, a coupe, and green in color.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
8,154 Posts
Having a red 68 convertible I find that lot of people in newer non Ford cars and trucks and various off shore SUV’s just have to tailgate and pass me to show me how much faster they are than I am.
I have come to the conclusion my car is an a$$ hole magnet.
I usually have to macho men around here wanting to race me in their asphalt-warrior trucks that are lifted, big-tired, chromed to the max that are probably worth more than their houses. I just wave at them.

· Registered
8,154 Posts
I once had a guy stop next to me at a light and ask "What year is your Camaro?".... :-(
Should have told him it was a 2005 and let that rattle around his brain for a bit.

· Registered
8,154 Posts
I think folks out there have latched onto the mythical number of "64.5". From talking to the various people throughout my travels, so many have owned one, had a family member who owned one, friends, acquaintances, etc. Makes me believe that more people have owned the famous 64.5 Mustang than there were actually produced.

· Registered
8,154 Posts
The most frequent question I get is "What year?". So when I want to comment on another Mustanger's car I like to mention the year or some other little fact that shows I know Mustangs rather than just a generic comment like "nice car". For example, just last night driving home in the wife's Fusion I came up beside a '68 Fastback going the opposite direction while we were both stopped briefly in a road construction zone. I had only a moment to speak before he drove off, so I just said "Nice '68!". His eyes lit up and he had a big smile on his face as he drove off.
I was at our local Lowe's one time, and saw a pretty clean 69 Camaro in the parking lot. On my way out, a lady and a kid I'll assume was her son, were loading up the back of the Camaro with their purchases. I walked by and said "Nice 69" and nodded my head. I'm glad I wasn't with my wife at the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts