Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

· Registered
7T03T121875 - 10/5/66 build
118 Posts
I once had a guy stop next to me at a light and ask "What year is your Camaro?".... :-(
While the Mustang has always been a part of the family as long as I've been around, I actually started out in the hobby as a Mopar guy thanks to my dad being into the 300-series letter cars. My first 4 cars were all Dodge/Plymouth A-bodies (Demon/Dart/Duster/etc). One time a guy pulled up next to me at a light as I was sitting in my '73 Dart Sport and asked me "What's that got in it, a 350?"

For the record, in addition to being ignorant, he was 10 cubes off. It was a 340, and even had the badging on the fenders calling it out.

· Registered
45,023 Posts
While the Mustang has always been a part of the family as long as I've been around, I actually started out in the hobby as a Mopar guy thanks to my dad being into the 300-series letter cars. My first 4 cars were all Dodge/Plymouth A-bodies (Demon/Dart/Duster/etc). One time a guy pulled up next to me at a light as I was sitting in my '73 Dart Sport and asked me "What's that got in it, a 350?"

For the record, in addition to being ignorant, he was 10 cubes off. It was a 340, and even had the badging on the fenders calling it out.
Maybe he knew it was .060" over? lol.

· Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
1,887 Posts
A cute young chick was driving along side me and passing appreciative glances my way. I was feeling mighty attractive when we stopped along side each other at the stoplight until she said “ my grandpa has one just like it “
At least she didn't say, " You look like my grandpa in that car"!

· Registered
8,154 Posts
I once had a guy stop next to me at a light and ask "What year is your Camaro?".... :-(
Should have told him it was a 2005 and let that rattle around his brain for a bit.

· Registered
6,851 Posts
Sitting at a red light and a Porsche rolls up next to me on my left (me in my '65 fb with 408W). Younger dude rolls down the passengers window a little bit, lowers his shades just enough to take a better look. He then revved his engine a little bit and laughs- assumingly trying to entice a race. I responded with a nasty burnout and funny enough- all the smoke drifting towards his car. Light turned green, I left normally only to see him launch immediately. I was smiling at the next light when he rolled up on my left again! lol

· Super Moderator
12,038 Posts
Celebrity status, you really don’t l see that many of them out these days,……..

· Registered
17 Posts
These ae the two best in 6 months of ownership.
1st. Someone followed my wife and I half way through Reno one night, he admitted to doing this. As I am going through a parking lot looking for a space he blocks us gets out and then I get the had a....... back in......

2nd. At a gas station I am approached as I am paying he walks up from behide the car blah blah blah. Then as I turn to put the nozzle in the tank I see a woman opening the drivers door to get a "better look", my wife was in the passenger seat. Also they weren't together.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Then two weekends ago a shirtless elderly man in swim trunks and Crocks almost flipped his mobility scooter off the curve cause he gave me thumbs up while I was driving. He was close to eating blacktop but was smiling ear to ear.
A few years back, I was leaving my parents house in my mustang, and I just reached the first intersection in the residential area that I was driving thru. A couple in their 50’s were approaching on the sidewalk, about to cross. I stop to let them cross, and the wife (a very hefty lady) pointed at my car to mention how nice it looked. It seemed that pointing and walking were two activities that she was not prepared to execute simultaneously, and subsequently sprained her ankle as she took a misstep off the curb, and ate concrete.

I pulled over to help, ended up having an ambulance, a fire truck, and police all show up…

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

· Registered
7,401 Posts

· Registered
4,886 Posts
Yeah, that is something I dread when I get mine going. Right now we get lots of looks and conversations when driving the Slingshot, 99% of them very enjoyable fortunately. Had numerous kids sit in the drivers seat so their parents could take a picture. We had a great time driving the Tail Of The Dragon....one of my first trips planned in the Mustang.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Sports gear

Now my wife has related of a few questionable contacts when she has been out alone in it.

· Registered
4 Posts
It's not unusual to get a little attention while driving these old cars and I try to be gracious about it even when someone is an idiot. Hell, the attention is a big reason to bother owning it - it's fun.

But last Friday morning I was driving it to work and it got downright weird. Twice. First, I was at a light where two six-lane roads intersect, and a dude two lanes over in a truck starts yelling out his window "I have a sixty five--" and immediately a car stopped between us. The light turned green instantly, I took off, and laughed for half a block.

I've had some version of that happen at least 50 times over the years. But then two miles and 5 minutes later was the real absurdity. I was in the middle lane, stopped at another VERY busy intersection daydreaming and listening to the radio. All of a sudden there's a guy standing in the road talking to me through the passenger window. I hadn't seen him coming at all. Panhandlers work this particular intersection all the time, and that was my instant assumption. But this dude was dressed business-casual and had gotten out of his car, a couple cars back, to ask me what year mine is and another 10 seconds of generic talk. I was so shocked I don't even remember what he said.

Any other live ones out there?
i also get the nice car want to sell, I had one like it etc. Two people have asked to take a picture of the car so I say sure. I save all the notes I find on the car in the car file. A county sherriff in a Charger pulled up next to me at a rural red light. We took off and put the hammer down pretty good but stayed under the speed limit. Guess he was bored. The other cars sat at the green light watching. Pulled up to the beach to surf and a police car in behind me. He pulled up and talked a bit. He wanted to sell me his 73 convertible. Other beachgoers looked at me as if I were John Dillinger. A girl at the beach maybe 5 years old asked " mister what happened to your car?". Her mother was about to swallow her teeth. I told her it has very old. At an I-95 rest area a kid came up and asked what year the car is (67 Fastback). I told him he was right and he punched his sister and said I told you it was a 67. Sometimes a person asking about your car had one like it and wants to sell you some original parts. I have gotten parts this way several times. You never know.

· Registered
45,023 Posts
Should have told him it was a 2005 and let that rattle around his brain for a bit.
I went to a "Cruise-In" at the local vo-tech center about 20 years ago.... A kid (male) said "Cool car! What year is it?" and I replied "Nineteen Twenty-Seven". He said "No kidding?". Ah, the innocence of youth....

· Registered
64.5 Vert
700 Posts
At an I-95 rest area a kid came up and asked what year the car is (67 Fastback). I told him he was right and he punched his sister and said I told you it was a 67.
I was coming back from a VW meet in my '58 bug with another guy in his '70 Bug. We came around a corner and two teenager kids saw us. One pointed to us and started beating the H3LL out of his friend. :cool: Slug-bug is fun.

· Registered
69 Mach 1 , 68 K1500 short box GMC
473 Posts
Interesting stories. My wife and I were traveling through PA for a road rally. We stopped at a rest area truck plaza for lunch.
As we are getting out of the car , 69 Mach 1 Emerald green, this women comes running over from her semi . She says I love your car , always wanted one and on and on she goes. We tell her we need to go eat and she says ok, we go inside eat and 45 minute or so later we come out. This women is sitting on the curb and says she wanted to make sure no one bothered it 😏. We said thank you and as I unlocked the door , she ask can she please sit in our car for a picture. How can you refuse, so she did and we took several pic’s with her phone. She gave us her business card and said please if you’re ever in Kentucky , look me up for dinner at her place. Then she left smiling like a child who just got her best wish answered.
That’s the stuff That makes this hobby so great.

One last one, I have heard over and over , I had one just like yours ,same color , year etc. Well mine is a non factory color ,not even close. So I just let it go and move on.

· Registered
3,099 Posts
Last week on a trip to Illinois in the FB, I made a pit stop at a rest area. As I made my way back to the car, a guy approached and proceeded to proclaim his father used to own a 65 1/2 mustang, etc, etc,.......I just smiled politley and continued on my journey....
Aww Josh, I'm disappointed in you. You could've had quite the conversation with him. Ya know, with our level of sarcasm and all.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
A few years back, I was leaving my parents house in my mustang, and I just reached the first intersection in the residential area that I was driving thru. A couple in their 50’s were approaching on the sidewalk, about to cross. I stop to let them cross, and the wife (a very hefty lady) pointed at my car to mention how nice it looked. It seemed that pointing and walking were two activities that she was not prepared to execute simultaneously, and subsequently sprained her ankle as she took a misstep off the curb, and ate concrete.

I pulled over to help, ended up having an ambulance, a fire truck, and police all show up…

Sent from the interwebs... where else?
Have you heard from her lawyer yet? You will probably be held responsible.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts