Vintage Mustang Forums banner

The weirdo car guys were afoot

3593 68
It's not unusual to get a little attention while driving these old cars and I try to be gracious about it even when someone is an idiot. Hell, the attention is a big reason to bother owning it - it's fun.

But last Friday morning I was driving it to work and it got downright weird. Twice. First, I was at a light where two six-lane roads intersect, and a dude two lanes over in a truck starts yelling out his window "I have a sixty five--" and immediately a car stopped between us. The light turned green instantly, I took off, and laughed for half a block.

I've had some version of that happen at least 50 times over the years. But then two miles and 5 minutes later was the real absurdity. I was in the middle lane, stopped at another VERY busy intersection daydreaming and listening to the radio. All of a sudden there's a guy standing in the road talking to me through the passenger window. I hadn't seen him coming at all. Panhandlers work this particular intersection all the time, and that was my instant assumption. But this dude was dressed business-casual and had gotten out of his car, a couple cars back, to ask me what year mine is and another 10 seconds of generic talk. I was so shocked I don't even remember what he said.

Any other live ones out there?
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

· Registered
1968 Mustang Convertible, 289 Auto
4 Posts
Back in Feb 1982 I was moving from SC to CA, driving my '68 Convertible with the top down most of the time. Cruising down I-40 I see a sign for Winslow, AZ and being an Eagles fan of course I had to exit there and check out the little town. As I'm driving along slowly down the main drag a man on the sidewalk jumps up with his arm raised like he's bidding at an auction and shouts "I'll buy that car!". I just shook my head and kept going.

The most frequent question I get is "What year?". So when I want to comment on another Mustanger's car I like to mention the year or some other little fact that shows I know Mustangs rather than just a generic comment like "nice car". For example, just last night driving home in the wife's Fusion I came up beside a '68 Fastback going the opposite direction while we were both stopped briefly in a road construction zone. I had only a moment to speak before he drove off, so I just said "Nice '68!". His eyes lit up and he had a big smile on his face as he drove off.

· Registered
1,919 Posts
A few years back I did the annual Winged Warriors cruise. I was driving drag (last in line to catch anyone that brakes down).
So there's about 40 cars, Superbirds, Daytonas, Roadrunners, Chargers etc. I saw the aftermath of the general public after we drove by. Old people shaking, kids pointing, and a half naked woman running from her house yelling for her husband to come out. Heck, it was like being famous for a day.

· Registered
8,154 Posts
The most frequent question I get is "What year?". So when I want to comment on another Mustanger's car I like to mention the year or some other little fact that shows I know Mustangs rather than just a generic comment like "nice car". For example, just last night driving home in the wife's Fusion I came up beside a '68 Fastback going the opposite direction while we were both stopped briefly in a road construction zone. I had only a moment to speak before he drove off, so I just said "Nice '68!". His eyes lit up and he had a big smile on his face as he drove off.
I was at our local Lowe's one time, and saw a pretty clean 69 Camaro in the parking lot. On my way out, a lady and a kid I'll assume was her son, were loading up the back of the Camaro with their purchases. I walked by and said "Nice 69" and nodded my head. I'm glad I wasn't with my wife at the time.

· Premium Member
10,814 Posts
I guess while at the gas pump, you seem more approachable. I had a guy in his 20’s approach and ask me if the car was “all metal”. I had to ask for clarification. He said that he was into conspiracy theories and went on to explain that when all of the computer chips in modern cars suddenly (an inexplicably) fail simultaneously, that only old all metal cars (pre computer chip) would still be able to be driven. You know? I had never thought about that apocalyptic scenario. Lucky us with these fine old “all metal” cars.
When the Y2K computer failure craze or conspiracy was afoot years ago, I was still daily-driving my Mustang to work and everyone joked that if all the computers failed and even the cars died, there was one guy that could still crank up and go home at the end of the day!
I was in a restaurant drive-thru in my Mustang this last week, and the employees were all crowding around the window to listen and look. The manager grins a little behind them and says, "I can only see that Turquoise top. Is it a Camaro?"
Another employee says, "PSSHH!! Woman, that's a MUSTANG !!"
They gave me my drink for free! 😃

Reactions: gman72

· Registered
1,233 Posts
I once had a guy stop next to me at a light and ask "What year is your Camaro?".... :-(
My son loves to goof around and be a jokester. If he sees a nice car he'll purposely call out the wrong make/model. Ex. He sees a Mustang, "Hey Dad, that's a real nice Camaro". Sees a Corvette, "Hey Dad, that's a nice Lamborghini". And he makes sure everyone around can hear. I'll just go along. "yeah, those Germans make some real nice cars."

· Registered
963 Posts
I drove my '67 Coupe not restored for a year + before tearing it down and getting stuck in the 'while I'm at it' rabbit hole. During that time I drove it every chance I got, grocery store trips, cruise in's, etc. I got a lot of good responses, talks, etc. but at cruise in's it was mostly guys in cutoff jean shorts that started with 'that got a V8 in it?' (289). The best one I had was a 10 minute trip to the grocery store because the wife needed milk for a recipe 'I'll get it!'.

I start backing into a spot when an elderly woman (70's or 80's, I was in my mid 40's) stops with her basket in the main driving lane until I finish backing in. She approaches as I get out to the car and proceeds to tell me how her and her husband (I assumed he had passed from her demeanor) had a red '67 coupe with red interior and how they would go on picnics on weekends in it and other good memories. I listened and spoke with her a while offering for her to sit in it but she declined. Once done I went in to get the milk and returned home, which turned into almost an hour to get milk. My wife was livid waiting to finish her recipe to cook the food and said 'what took so long!??' I replied 'some chick was looking at my car'.

In stark comparison to my interactions with guys in jean cutoffs I had bought my wife an '09 Warriors in Pink Mustang, 1/199 (only made as a V6) after she survived breast cancer in 2009. It had rose pink stripes on the hood, down the sides that ended in a ribbon, a mustang badge with the pink bow behind it on the fenders, pink stitching on the seats, steering wheel, etc. I would take it to our yearly mustang show and other events. It was very popular with the ladies as soon as they saw a car with pink on it so it was always surrounded by ladies/ girls taking pics. The classic owning guys would come up and tell me 'I need to sell my '69 and get one of those!'.

· Registered
1966 289 3-speed
2,742 Posts
I was driving through my neighborhood one time and had a guy follow me to my house and then proceeded to get out of his car and approach me while I was s in my garage getting out of my car. As I almost started reaching for my Shield he introduces himself as a neighbor down the way and wanted to talk me up about my car. That was super uncomfortable. Nice guy in the end but no social skills.

· Registered
64.5 Vert
700 Posts
I was driving through my neighborhood one time and had a guy follow me to my house and then proceeded to get out of his car and approach me while I was s in my garage getting out of my car. As I almost started reaching for my Shield he introduces himself as a neighbor down the way and wanted to talk me up about my car. That was super uncomfortable. Nice guy in the end but no social skills.
That's the one thing my wife is worried about when she drives the Mustang. She's had a couple of guys walk over to her as she's getting out of it and want to talk about it. It freaks her out, I told her it's just car guys with no social skills (most of us) but she's good to be wary.

· Premium Member
1,266 Posts
I play pool in a small town near the house. I drive a brand new C8 corvette to the place. no comment. I drive an Ultra-Rare CTS-V manual wagon to the place. no comment. I drive my 65 coupe, everyone in the bar comes out to see it.
There is something about these cars!!!!!!!!

And I suppose there always was.....

:)

61 - 69 of 69 Posts