Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Brand new here but have been wrenching on Mustangs since I was strong enough to righty-tighty lefty-loosey. My name is Kevin and I reside in snowy Minnesota. I'll be 33 at the end of the month.

I grew up with my father's early '65 D-code 4spd convertible and have owned my own '66 289 3spd coupe since 2010. I inherited my father's car on my family's insistence after we lost him four years ago. I also convinced my girlfriend (now one year wife) to purchase her own '66 C-code auto PS A/C coupe about 5 years ago. My uncle also has a '65 C-code auto convertible that may stable at my garage in the near future for repairs.

I joined mostly to hopefully gain more knowledge on getting my father's car closer to correct.
My car is a hot rod and my wife's car is a weekend cruiser, my father's car has been a sentimental driver that we were trying to restore as time and money would allow while still being able to drive the car. I have kept the car running, but have been unable to put the car in 1st and go down the road by myself since his passing.

His car is a San Jose built car with unit number 100417 and an assembly date of 4G16 July 16th 1964. Most of what I'd like to learn is D-code related as the engine was replaced in the mid 80s with a '68 289 and a 3spd. I have been collecting what I hope are the correct parts to build and reinstall a date code correct five bolt 289.

Looking for those who speak Ford casting numbers, date codes and stampings with knowledge of the 1964 1/2 early '65 Mustangs
I do have a copy of Bob Mannels Small Block Ford book. Looking forward to it. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the VMF. That’s quite the stable you have. Post some pictures
I'm fairly new, once I figure out how to post pictures I will do. I did figure out how to update the profile picture. The blue '66 is my car, the red '66 is my wife's and the white '65 is my dad's.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm fairly new, once I figure out how to post pictures I will do. I did figure out how to update the profile picture. The blue '66 is my car, the red '66 is my wife's and the white '65 is my dad's.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They all look great
Thank you. They're not show cars but we're proud of them. All of them are repaint done by previous owners. My dad's car was originally Dynasty Green, now Wimbledon White. My Wife's car was originally Tahoe turquoise, now a resale red that could be Rangoon, and my car's dark secret is it was special ordered in PINK! Now 1989 Ford Midnight blue, but the clear is shot. I asked the guy I bought it from what the original color was over the phone, he said pink. I didn't believe him because I knew that wasn't a factory color. After purchasing and bring it home, sure enough, the paint code on the tag is blank. And doing work on the car, it was pink from the factory. My friends give me all kinds of grief.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! You will find a lot of information here to help you find and resolve questions on date codes, casting numbers, etc. on your '64. Good luck on the restoration!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Nice cars you have . Just so you know pink is supposed to be a calming color.

If you want a pony that stands out in the herd, paint yours back original. I am serious, how many have you seen that color, myself only in pictures. I know not a very appealing thought. Ford has used a pink on some of their cars from way back. As a teenager I owned a factory pink 57 Fairlane vert , I liked the car but not the color.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome, there's a few of us youngins out there ;)

What general area of MN? I grew up in the south-west and have family out south-east. Lots of great memories out there but don't miss the wind in the winter :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
1,692 Posts
I agree with the return to pink idea...what could be better than having something unique to make you factory correct color stand out from the rest of the pack.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Nice collection of Mustangs there, and seems like you've got all the genres covered...a hot rod, a cruiser, and getting one back as close to factory as you can get it. Welcome aboard and you've got a great group of enthusiasts of all these areas that will guide you along. Just sit back, enjoy the rides, and prepare for some education, whether you want it or not! :D :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
939 Posts

These might help. Online search will produce others. Welcome to VMF. Dave R.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,635 Posts
Welcome to VMF Kevin. Nice Mustangs you have there.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to VMF. Nice cars you have . Just so you know pink is supposed to be a calming color.

If you want a pony that stands out in the herd, paint yours back original. I am serious, how many have you seen that color, myself only in pictures. I know not a very appealing thought. Ford has used a pink on some of their cars from way back. As a teenager I owned a factory pink 57 Fairlane vert , I liked the car but not the color.
The car does need a new paint, I considered paying homage to the original pink by using a metallic pearl pink/magenta color, I just haven't fully committed to it. It really doesn't fit my style or the cars original direction when I purchased it. I didn't care about the bad paint as my intent was to spray it in suede black. Then I seen the car in the rain under the parking lot light pole one night after leaving work, fell in love with the color, paint matched it to 1983-1985 Mustang Ford Midnight Blue Metallic. Which conveniently matched the cars name, Midnight Express.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The car does need a new paint, I considered paying homage to the original pink by using a metallic pearl pink/magenta color, I just haven't fully committed to it. It really doesn't fit my style or the cars original direction when I purchased it. I didn't care about the bad paint as my intent was to spray it in suede black. Then I seen the car in the rain under the parking lot light pole one night after leaving work, fell in love with the color, paint matched it to 1983-1985 Mustang Ford Midnight Blue Metallic. Which conveniently matched the cars name, Midnight Express.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome, there's a few of us youngins out there ;)

What general area of MN? I grew up in the south-west and have family out south-east. Lots of great memories out there but don't miss the wind in the winter :ROFLMAO:
Hastings, about 1/2 hour south of the twin cities

1 - 20 of 26 Posts