Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what people think is the best way to keep your daily driver from being stolen. Alarms, The club, the one that locks the brake or clutch to the steering wheel or other methods. My son has a 1966 coupe for a daliy driver and want to see what is the best way on a teenagers bank account.
Thanks Scott

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
"Clubs" can be bypassed by a rudamentary thief. And really, if someone is determined to get your car, they will. You just want to make it difficult for joy riders. There are several things you can do:

Grant makes a removable steering wheel. That can make things a little difficult.

Take the coil wire or dizzy cap with you. ;)

T-lock if it's an automatic (see Whisperer).
Install a kill-switch.

I have a Sears Security Battery which I love, but they discontinued them because they were too hard for the average person to understand. Oh well.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I'm using a security system in my 66 Mustang, that me and a co-worker developed and my company just put on the market for all classic cars. It kills both ignition & Fuel by remote, so you don't have to worry about the would be thief finding a fuel or bypass switch somewhere in the car. Plus once installed, the way I have it rigged, you can cut & splice wires till your heart's desire, and you still can't bypass the system. It also has a few extra goodies that can be added later for more security and convienence if wanted.

Don't really want to give away all the secrets, but the only way they are getting my 66 is with a tow-truck! :p

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I don't like "Clubs" for 3 reasons (1) easy to defeat, (2) idiot thief will cut up your $500 steer wheel to get the Club off, (3) on a rim blow wheel, the heat from the sun can cause the Club to expand or shift and start blowing the horn. Blow the horn long enough, things get hot and catch fire. I prefer the Unbrakeable Autolock that locks the brake or clutch pedal. Lot harder to defeat, and if I ever come out and someone is working on it their a** is going to be sticking up in the air, ready for my foot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm using a security system in my 66 Mustang, that me and a co-worker developed and my company just put on the market for all classic cars. It kills both ignition & Fuel by remote, so you don't have to worry about the would be thief finding a fuel or bypass switch somewhere in the car. Plus once installed, the way I have it rigged, you can cut & splice wires till your heart's desire, and you still can't bypass the system. It also has a few extra goodies that can be added later for more security and convienence if wanted.

Don't really want to give away all the secrets, but the only way they are getting my 66 is with a tow-truck! :p
So where can I get one for my 68 coupe?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I used to take my coil wire with me if I stayed over night somewhere. Then, a friend pointed out that these cars will run on 7 plugs. The thief pulls one wire and uses it as a coil wire. Now I take the rotor button and try to block it in with another car, if possible. Mark

·
Registered
318 Posts
How are you Jess,wondering if you could tell me what store in Canada would sell the utility security lock that you have for your hood? Or where in the U.S.? Thank's, Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts