Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to these forums, but I figured you would be the guys to ask.

I am interested in a 1966 coupe that someone in town is selling. Thing is, it has a theft-recovery salvage title.

Now, I'm in upstate new York, but he is a soldier that was previously stationed in Oregon, and has it registered there. If I were to get the car and register it I would have to get a New York salvage inspection. It's $205 plus time for paperwork mailing back and forth from Albany.

What the salvage inspection checks is to see if the car contains any stolen parts. He said the inspection he got in Oregon, all they did was check the VIN. Anyways, if they do find any stolen parts in the inspection they confiscate them or, if it's a major part like the engine or tranny, they take the whole car.

Now my worry lies in that, since the car is a theft recovery, even though the car has been written off that it's parts could still be listed as stolen. Or that while it was stolen other parts were switched in.

What measures can I take to check before I trade for the car and get the inspection?

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
There is no way 1966-vintage parts could be verified as stolen or not. Except for K code engines, Ford didn't even stamp the VIN on engines until 1968, and it was decades before body parts were marked.

Bear in mind the non-Ford VIN reduces the value of the car.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
There is no way 1966-vintage parts could be verified as stolen or not. Except for K code engines, Ford didn't even stamp the VIN on engines until 1968, and it was decades before body parts were marked.

Bear in mind the non-Ford VIN reduces the value of the car.

But if it has a later year engine or transmission, than it's possible they could be identified as stolen.

OP, personally I wouldn't worry about stolen parts being in the car. I've been in law enforcement for 14 years and you have to do a pretty investigative and thorough search through various law enforcement databases to determine if a part is stolen. The chances are low that you'd have an issue.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Recommend you pass on the car...too much hassle and Salvage title will hurt the resale value. There are plenty of 1966 coupes out there without issues.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Unless you can steal it! (no pun intended)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You say it is "REGISTERED" in Oklahoma under the current owner's name?
Does that mean HE HOLDS A CURRENT OKLAHOMA TITLE, or does that mean he just has an Oklahoma tag and was driving it there?

If he has an Oklahoma Title, even if it's a SALVAGE title, he should be able to sign it over to you, and then that should be all New York needs. To the NY DMV, the existence of an Oklahoma Title, in the seller's name, tells them he was was the rightful owner of IT, including every component of IT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is titled and registered in Oregon. I did check, and for me to be able to register the car here, since it is a salvage, I MUST have a new York state title, and to get the title I MUST get the salvage inspection.

But if, as you guys say, there is little to no worry of parts being identifiable as stolen, I think I will go through with it.

I am trading it for my 1988 jeep wrangler, because I am a student (read: no money)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
There is a special DMV Station east of Syracuse off 90 that does all the "special" titles and numbering. I would check with them to get the full story of what they will investigate and how deep. Tell them your story and let them know you want to do all the searches they will do before you purchase it. They are decent folks, I ran a Panhead Harley custom through them couple of years ago. They were very easy to deal with.

Good luck,

M

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Stay away from it. Any time you get the DMV involved you can really have hassles.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Clarify

But if, as you guys say, there is little to no worry of parts being identifiable as stolen, I think I will go through with it.
Let me clarify... IF it has a STOLEN 5.0 and transmission out of a 2002 Mustang in it, it WILL get impounded.

We were ASSUMING all 1966 era components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me clarify... IF it has a STOLEN 5.0 and transmission out of a 2002 Mustang in it, it WILL get impounded.

We were ASSUMING all 1966 era components.
No, it still has the 200ci and the C4 tranny, the only thing I haven't checked is the axle.

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
If it has a 200 cid engine, C4 trans, and 7" rear axle, you can rest assured it's unlikely any part will have a VIN on it. These parts are way too old in configuration for the later "VIN on everything" manufacture. Besides, there isn't exactly a huge market for hot 6 cylinder parts.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Personally as others have suggested. Salvage titles can be a pain in the neck.And they will haunt the car for the rest of it's days.

Do you know approximately how long ago the car was stolen and recovered? Also where is the new state assigned vin tag attached? Is it over the original tag in the engine compartment? If this was stolen a awhile ago,I'd try to register it to the original vin. On a serious note do you know anybody at a Dmv or in Law enforcement,who could do you a favor? If yes I'd have them run the original vin and see if it comes back with any hits. Perhaps you could go through all of the motions with the N.Y. DMV in terms of inspecting and registering the salvage car but do it to the original vin? I'm just thinking out loud basically trying to come up with legal ideas that you could try..

·
Registered
20,999 Posts
If you really want this car, I'd do some serious low balling. You see what concerns you have and the next person is going to have the same. Things will not get easier. This car has a big red bulls eye painted on it.

I don't know how true this is but maybe something you could check into. I've read vehicles with salvage titles can get legit non salvage titles in situation where maybe the car was wrecked or stolen and written off as a total loss. Where the title can be reversed to a non salvage, the shop would have to prove they repaired the car in less money then the write off price to a repair price. I read this in Consumers Reports a few years back when they did a big story of salvaged cars. Maybe Oregon has something like this.

·
Registered
810 Posts
ONCE IT HAS any state issued vin its not legally going back. i dont think a salvage car that has a title and reg from another state needs a nys salvage exam.

Not to split hairs, But I know a 66 350 owner who would dispute this claim.Apparently Salvage titles negatively affect The values of Shelbies.So yea he had to jump through some hoops,but he got it done. In N.Y. Granted this was many years ago. So I'm sure rules have changed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
and definetly illegal.

Nah, He had too much family in law enforcement.I remember him telling me about some paperwork, and he had to do an etching of the vin. Had to wait for different periods of time, had to get it checked and rechecked.Like I said he had to jump through hoops. This guy had a legit Shelby that had been in an accident back in the day and got that title. He wanted to fix it and make sure it had the legit vin,registration (no title on pre 1973 cars in N.Y.) etc.

Illegal nope ,not in this case. But in the case of A "T" code with a salvage title,yea that would be the easy way (just kidding).LOL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts