Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Near as I can tell ALL USA-market 428 Mustangs/Cougars had injection, 1968-1970. Do I have that right?

(Actually, I'm wondering if all USA-market 428s installed in any body style/model had air injection...but that's getting a bit off track).

Sorry about the rash of questions all at once. I do more lurking than posting and try to post questions only when I'm really stuck. Sometime there's SO much info "out there" that it's really hard to dig thru it and get to the bottom of a question.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
35,833 Posts
Well, in the case of 68-70 390GT and 428CJ/SCJ engines installed in Mustangs and Cougars, yes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not the 69 390's

I know your question was related to 428's specifically, but in case you are looking for cross-reference parts the 390 engine itself in 1969 was not considered a GT engine. The 69 390 IP (Improved Performance) engine was very different from a 67-68 390 GT both internally and externally. The pistons, cam, intake, carb, and distributor were all significantly different from the GT. This was largely in part to allow Ford to save production costs by not installing thermactor systems.

The FE Forum has a number of threads on this one as I was looking for the same information a little while back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I thought Thermactor Emissions AKA smog system was only for cars built at the San Jose plant. All 428CJ's are suppose to have the Thermactor Emissions system no matter where they are built? Am I wrong in my assumption?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I have a Dearborn built 69 R code Mach1. It has a thermactor system on it.
Emmissions is a Federal issue why would it be Assembly plant specific equipment?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I didn't know it was a federal issue. I thought it was a California specific thing just for cars built at the San Jose plant. CA has stricter emission requirements than the federal government so I wasn't sure if the Thermactor system was across the board on all 428's or just San Jose built 428's. I see it was all 428's. Depending on where you buy it, new cars today can come with or without CA emissions in addition to federal emissions. I thought it was the same way back then but I guess not since the Thermactor System was a federal requirement and not a state one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
All 1986 1/2 - 1970 428 CJs installed in cars built for US DSO's received emission controls-most people removed the smog equipment which is why most 428s no longer have it. Starting in 1966 ALLl cars with a California DSO had full emission controls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts