Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Honda Odyssey has a 1 row radiator with two electric fans. It can climb desert mountain passes with the air on at 110 degrees and the temperature gauge never moves. My company 89 Chevy Astro van with an engine driven fan would do the same thing. Why is the giant 4 row in my Mustang barely able to do the job on a 90 degree day. Fan is a 6 blade. Should I go to a single row with electric fan(s)????

How do they do that - with only one row???

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Mustang (early) are different than newer cars . Newer cars use cross-flow radiators . Old Stangs use top to bottom flow , which does not work as well as cross-flows . Newer radiators mostly are bigger in surface area than older cars also . The other side is Horsepower , your Mustang engine likely has 2 to 3 times the power your Honda has . The more power your making the more heat comes out of the engine . To make more power you have to burn more fuel or squeeze it harder . Doing either (compression or fuel) adds heat into the system , making the radiators job harder .

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The sewing machine in that honda requires NOTHING for cooling compared to a V8.....it could almost get away with a big heater core.

Want a good example? Take a SBF that ran nice and cool, and cam it up a good bit.......there really ZERO chance the radiator will then keep up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
actually to correct the statement about the sewing machine powered honda.....the oddesy is powered by the same engine as the large Acura RL which in 2000 I believe was a 240 hp 3.2 liter. Its Hard to compare with a sewing machine and besides many mustangs even with V8's had less pawer than that from the factory. A and C codes were only 200 and 220 if I remeber right. Anyway just felt compelled to make the point, its no hotrod, after all its a minivan but it still creates enough power to need more than the above stated heater core. I agree that its amazing how good of a job that the new radiators do.

Ryan

·
Registered
315 Posts
but those a and c codes are 35 year old engines, honda didnt have figures like that then, just had to say it :) It's definitely no sewing machine, those are electric...hehe jk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts