Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to confirm once more about the proper way to position the thermostat inside the housing.

My belief is the pointed end is pointed towards the engine. Therefore, the spring end is towards the radiator.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Incorrect...the pointy end goes towards the radiator and the spring side towards the engine. If you look closely on the side of the thermostat, I think you will see a little arrow etched in the thermo telling you that the flow goes out the pointy end.

To install, put thermo in water neck, run nylon ty wrap through pointy end. Use a three penny nail and bridge it across the radiator hose opening and lash the ty wrap around it until it holds the thermo in place (don't deform the thermo by pulling too tight). Okay now the thermo is fixed in place. Put gasket cement on cardboard gasket and tack in place on the water neck. Now put the water neck in place and bolt down. Once the neck is tightened on, cut the nylon ty wrap and pull it out the neck. In this manner you'll be sure the thermo is centered and not slipped out of position.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would also recommend drilling a small hole, in the flat metal work around the edge of the thermostat too. This lets the air escape faster when you get all done and are filling the cooling system. I put the thermostat housing in a vice and use a small amount of silicone around where the thermostat sits. Place the thermostat in the housing, hole facing straight up when mounted, with the pointed part facing forward, spring towards the rear, then your gasket. All these directions in the last sentence are only good if you're visualizing the thermostat housing bolted on the intake. After a few minutes, when the silicon sets up some, you can bolt the housing to the intake without the thermostat slipping on you. This works on a cleveland too, where the thermostat pointed part will face straight UP.

·
Administrator
19,304 Posts
The thermostat works by a wax pellet inside the small brass "can" on the thermostat. As the can transfers the heat to pellet, it expands and opens the thermostat. Therefore the "can" should always be pointed in the direction of heat generation (the engine). Some late model foreign cars have some damn funny looking thermostats, but the rule still applies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts