Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool...did you have to modify the pans and did you use the factory tracks on those seats? Thanks...

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
You're wasting time!

I simply bolted the old tracks to the bottom of the new seats.

I've bought these style seats twice (a set for each mustang)....

the first pair of 2001 Bullitts I paid $900 for
the second pair of 2003 Mach 1s I paid $1100 for

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
After driving for 4ish hours in Nick's 67 I can attest to the comfort of those seats in a classic Mustang. FWIW I'm 6' and 230lbs and I fit just fine.

I had the seats out of a '96 V6 in my '66 for a few years and they were good, but the extra bolsters on the Mach seats really added to the comfort.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
That's a good price as I understand it. I have a pair that will go into my car when I get it back. I can attest to their comfort on my living room floor but not in the car yet... :p

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Yes. Cobra, Mach 1, and Bullitt seats are all semi custom and visually different/physical design different than the standard GT seats.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Same frames, just different foam and upholstery...

Personally I feel it's a lot of money for only a slightly different seat with a "retro" look and different headrests...

There are a few companies that offer a "sport foam" upgrade for '94-'04 seats, like Katzkin, Classic Soft Trim, etc.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
StrokerDude said:
Same frames, just different foam and upholstery...

Personally I feel it's a lot of money for only a slightly different seat with a "retro" look and different headrests...

There are a few companies that offer a "sport foam" upgrade for '94-'04 seats, like Katzkin, Classic Soft Trim, etc.
But what do those sport foam sets cost including covers? Is it in leather like the one's I have?
I got lucky. I got mine for $500 and there is one small nick that I need to have repaired but I can't imagine that new foam and leather for '94-'04 seats including the cost of the seats themselves can beat the $600 that the ad is asking. Can it?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was referring to Dodgestang's post on the prices he paid. $600 isn't too bad...

For $1,100 you could get some REALLY nice Cobra or Recarro seats!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
StrokerDude said:
For $1,100 you could get some REALLY nice Cobra or Recarro seats!
My opinion is that my 03 mach seats and my 01 bullitts seats are every bit as nice as those other seats you mention...perhaps even more so because they were designed to go 100k miles or more.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Here you go. Installed in a 67. We took the rear seat material off the original and match the fold down area to the front seats. We also upgraded the seats in the MIB car too. There is no comparison to comfort between the old and new seats.

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/cobra seats1.jpg
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/cobra seats2.jpg
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/cobra seats3.jpg
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/rear seat1.jpg

Dave

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Mine look even more vintage. They have perforated leather in the middle area (stops about 3/4 of the way up) and vertical stitching like '68 upholstery. When I get to putting the interior back in, I'll use '68 rear seat covers. Someday I'll get the centers to match the fronts with the perforations.
Can't wait to get some real "seat" time. :pirate:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Hey Mustangsurfer - it does not look like you lowered the seat pans for these. Do you find any lack of headroom? Or lack of legroom near the steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey Mustangsurfer - it does not look like you lowered the seat pans for these. Do you find any lack of headroom? Or lack of legroom near the steering wheel?
These were not lowered because the customer didn't need it. We have another car we're doing where the customer is over 6 foot and he wants to run the power seats, so we're pulling the platforms out entirely and building a framework to run the power seats.

When we installed them in MIB we lowered the platforms but we didn't run the power units.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts