Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Jim Clark won the 1965 Indy 500 one of his prizes was an early notchback racer. Anyone know who came up with the unique ducting for the front brakes? (Clark raced for Colin Chapman/Lotus-Ford in Formula One and also at Indy.) I had never seen those before, but a wicked serious look, wouldn't you say? Note the makeshift tie down for the hood to the bumper too.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
4, man, those things are butt-ugly. Does seem like they'd work fine though. Did anyone else ever use ducts like that ? LSG

·
Dimples
4,836 Posts
Very cool! I’ve never seen those pics before, but those scoops are pretty tough looking. Jim Clark was a STUD. Formula 1 & 2 took out a lot of talented men back then.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Looks like a pair of floor mats aluminum-tied under the valance and pointed at the brakes... I wonder if any of the racers removed the splash shields to expose more of the rotor...

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looking into this further, it turns out those pics (and the one below) were taken in September of 1965 at the Oulton Park Gold Cup touring car race in England, and the driver was Jack Brabham, not Jim Clark. (Clark was driving the Ford Cortina following.) Brabham and the mustang ended up disqualified from the race for a technical infraction. Who devised those brake cooling ducts remains a mystery for now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The color picture more from the side also shows modification to the front fender wheel opening. I question the function of the front brake ducts as they are not adding additional area. They seem like they would be an obstruction if anything. Opening additional holes in the valence would add area.

·
Registered
35,841 Posts
Ducting for brakes was old news by then. In the 50's, the other guys were offering RPO 684, which was heavy-duty finned drum brakes, with cutout backing plates, cooling fans inside the drum, and air ducts for both front and rear brakes. The big scoops below the headlights were not decorations, they were the intakes for the ducts-

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
4, man, those things are butt-ugly. Does seem like they'd work fine though. Did anyone else ever use ducts like that ? LSG
Function before Form for sure, they’re pretty ugly!

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
When Jim Clark won the 1965 Indy 500 one of his prizes was an early notchback racer. Anyone know who came up with the unique ducting for the front brakes? (Clark raced for Colin Chapman/Lotus-Ford in Formula One and also at Indy.) I had never seen those before, but a wicked serious look, wouldn't you say? Note the makeshift tie down for the hood to the bumper too.

View attachment 763323

View attachment 763324
Check out the cornering attitude of the Lotus Cortina on his 6.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
332 Posts
Reactions: QuietChris

·
Registered
594 Posts
those pics (and the one below) were taken in September of 1965 at the Oulton Park Gold Cup touring car race in England,
View attachment 763334
The numbers look like silver duct tape. Wild to see them racing with full grill, fender emblems, bumpers / guards, turn signal trim...

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Fat Boy

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Check out the cornering attitude of the Lotus Cortina on his 6.
Hey @j persons, want some more attitude? I just watched a documentary on Clark (Jim Clark - The Quiet Champion - BBC4 Documentary 2009) and at the 26 minute mark they show and talk about how a racing Cortina would typically drive on only three wheels in turns (especially left handers) with as much as 8 inches of air under a front tire. Fun to watch. Here's a pic, Clark at the wheel:

If you haven't guessed yet, as a kid my favorite racing car driver was Jim Clark. This may have had something to do with the fact that I'm 1/4 Scot and we shared the same last name... ;)

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Hey @j persons, want some more attitude? I just watched a documentary on Clark (Jim Clark - The Quiet Champion - BBC4 Documentary 2009) and at the 26 minute mark they show and talk about how a racing Cortina would typically drive on only three wheels in turns (especially left handers) with as much as 8 inches of air under a front tire. Fun to watch. Here's a pic, Clark at the wheel:
View attachment 763370

If you haven't guessed yet, as a kid my favorite racing car driver was Jim Clark. This may have had something to do with the fact that I'm 1/4 Scot and we shared the same last name... ;)
Thanks for the photo! I had a Lotus Cortina when I was stationed in the UK. Twin cam Lotus engine with twin Webers. That car would run 6000RPM in 4th gear. But it was a bit scary in the corners

Reactions: 4ocious

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just out of curiosity I contacted Peter Brock and sent him pics of that mustang to ask if he had any knowledge of it. Here was his response: "Thanks for the interesting bit of lost history. I was never aware of that car. I suppose Jim would have had it shipped directly to the UK after his Indy 500 win in '65 so we never saw it over here. Since it seems it was raced in the UK it shouldn't be too much trouble to track down. If you do let me know, OK?" Peter Brock
I knew going in it was a long shot, but cool anyway. :)

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
View attachment 763370

Dude's on the wrong side of the car!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My 2nd car in the mid 70's was a 65 GT Cortina, with the Lotus drivetrain.
I had it in the same attitude a few times ... till it went all the way over. Teenager with more imagination than ability.
Repaired it from a write off a coupla times.
After the last write off, I moved to a sleepy country town. I had been bragging about how quick my car was to the local car guys, and set up a few races.

First day I got it into town, I did a coupla quick laps through town to "announce my presence", then drove to a friends house and parked in the driveway.
Half hour later, the local cop, off duty, whose personal car was a XA Falcon 2 door that was identical to the one posted here recently, that sold for $300,000, stormed in the door and arrested me.
Seems he had been tryin' ta pull me over, but with no lights or siren, how was I to know?
Good times.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts