Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
22GT,

Is that a '58 Vette? Did you take that picture? I only ask as my father had one that color. It was originally sold in Ft. Lauderdale and had heater delete......He's a Ford guy and had a '56 T-Bird at the time too, but he has said a few times, he wished he had kept that one.

That hood strap is definitely practical. Both the brakes and hood strap look like late night mods....

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
22GT,

Is that a '58 Vette? Did you take that picture? I only ask as my father had one that color. It was originally sold in Ft. Lauderdale and had heater delete......He's a Ford guy and had a '56 T-Bird at the time too, but he has said a few times, he wished he had kept that one.

That hood strap is definitely practical. Both the brakes and hood strap look like late night mods....
Next time type @22GT and he'll see it for sure. :)

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found the results from that Oulton Park Gold Cup Saloon Car Race, if you're interested I'll sum it up for you. There were TWO MUSTANGS entered. The Jack Brabham driven Group D (engine size no limit) mustang had the pole but badly botched the start and the other mustang driven by Roy Pierpoint grabbed the lead. Then without further ado Pierpoint went fishtailing into the first turn and four other cars kissed him with six more scrunching each other accordian style behind. The restart had all Cortinas out in front, but then Brabham got it together and by the end of lap 2 the lead was his. The only car able to keep pace from then on was the Group C (2 liter limit!) Cortina driven by (no surprise) Clark who finished only about four seconds behind Brabham's mighty mustang. Pierpoint ended up winning the race anyway despite Brabham having a nearly one minute (Group D) lead at the end. It seems Brabham's mustang was disqualified post race when it was found there were more valve springs under his hood than the rules allowed.

Who's mustang was owned by who is still a mystery. The Brabham driven car was entered by Weybridge Engineering Company of England, the Pierpoint mustang by Alan Mann Racing of (you guessed it) ditto. (On a side note, Mann was hired by Carroll Shelby at some point as a racing manager because he knew the European circuit and how to get things done over there, a terrific organizer/planner and very detail oriented.)

So, which mustang was the Clark Indy 500 prize car? Hell if I know. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking into this further, it turns out those pics (and the one below) were taken in September of 1965 at the Oulton Park Gold Cup touring car race in England, and the driver was Jack Brabham, not Jim Clark. (Clark was driving the Ford Cortina following.) Brabham and the mustang ended up disqualified from the race for a technical infraction. Who devised those brake cooling ducts remains a mystery for now.

View attachment 763334
Alan Mann Racing built that car ...... they probably had something to do with duct work to cool the brakes.......

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Alan Mann Racing built that car ...... they probably had something to do with duct work to cool the brakes.......
That's great, but may I ask how you know that? Of all the pics I found of Alan Mann Racing early mustangs (quite a few) none had those ducts. I did find a pic of a Pierpoint driven Weybridge Engineering mustang (plastic model) that had them. The FOR SALE ad below may include a typo listing Alan Brown Racing in lieu of Alan Mann Racing though, but curiously it's the Brabham driven car that was disqualified at Oulton Park entered by Weybridge Engineering. Do you have knowledge that Weybridge's cars were built/prepped by Mann? I guess I like trivia. :)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts