Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Let me tell you what I have. I have the car. The engine ('69 302) is being pulled from a Galaxy. The Stang (68 coupe, orig 3 sp) was a shell when I got it. Now where do I start. The car has nothing transmission wise. There are no linkages, shifter, bellhousing etc. I mean nothing. I've done a search on the t-5 conversion, but I didn't see anything where someone started with nothing.
Thanks for the help
Dave

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
use what they use in the websites and everything your missing use stock? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
680 Posts
Start serching your local junk yards. Look for '86 thru '93 5.0 mustang with a t-5 trans. Get the bellhousing, and transmission. Then buy a kit for cable clutch set-up. That way, you don't have to try to find all the manual clutch linkage. Hope this gets you started....

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Actually you are not starting from nothing, at least you have the pedals.

I did not have good luck with a used transmission and in the end bought a new one.

Given that a clutch cable setup is easier to set up than finding all the old linkage, I would go that route, thus you will need a late model bellhousing.

You will need a 28oz flywheel to match the balance of your motor. (Pre 1982 engines)

Clutch cable conversions can be made for $75 if you weld, or bought for $250 or so from numerous vendors.

You will also need a cross member. Fabricate for $10 or by for $130.

Driveshaft and starter from automatic cars will work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too am thinking about doing this. My big question is about engine balance. I have a 351-C with a C6, all newly rebuilt. If I went to a T5, what would this do to the balance job I had done on the engine's rotating assembly? The guy who did it included the flexplate in the balance equations, and removed some weight from the flexplate to make it "play nice" with the rest of the components. Would I be able to have the T5 flywheel balanced to mirror the characteristics of the flexplate?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You could check out www.moderndriveline.com. Bruce has all the parts you'll need. If you look at the "kits" that he sells, it will at least it will give you an idea of what you'll need. Also, I would highly recommend the conversion to cable clutch: if you are used to the Z bar setup, you will not believe the difference!

·
Registered
967 Posts
I called a machine shop about rebalancing a 50oz flywheel to 28oz and he told me to bring in both. I can't see why you couldn't do the same with a flexplate and a flywheel. Depending on how the cleveland was built it might be too much power for a T-5 to handle. You might need a 3550 or a TKO. The aftermarket T-5 is rated to handle 330 ft lbs. However IIRC ford muscle had a project 11.99 with a 67-68 and a stock t-5 (300 ft lbs) that they have made numerous passes on and still no problems with the tranny. I guess there are no real numbers as to when the stock ones will break.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I talked to a pro restorer (or should I say resto-modder) about this and he told me the power would only be an issue if I speed shift all the time. He is a believer in the idea that Mustangs and automatic transmissions should be mutually exclusive, by the way.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts