Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current motor is starting to leak from the rear main seal, and I'm just about ready to do the 4R70W swap. Since both the motor and transmission will have to come out anyway, one for the rear main seal and the other to be replaced. I figure why not get a new motor?

How do these specs look? Overkill for a street car? Yes. This is just what the builder has "on the shelf" ready to go. They can, of course build to whatever specs I want. I'd drop the compression a bit (9.5 or 10:1?). Maybe change the lift/duration/lobe separation?

The builder is a few miles from me and they have a good reputation. This long block doesn't break the bank either.

Engine FamilyFORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY - Small Block 302 Based V8
Engine Displacement (cu.in.)363
BalancedYes
Engine Balance TypeExternal-28oz
BlueprintedYes
Compression Ratio11.20 : 1
Engine Stroke (in)3.400
Engine Bore (in)4.125
Piston ManufacturerProbe Industries
Piston Part Number14714-STD
Piston Material2618-t61 Forged Aluminum
Piston Top TypeFlat Top
Piston Head Volume (CC)-4.0cc
Wrist Pin Material8620 Steel
Crankshaft VendorProbe Industries
Crankshaft Part Number10052
Crankshaft MaterialForged 4340 Steel
Connecting Rod VendorProbe Industries
Connecting Rod Part Number10074
Connecting Rod MaterialForged 4340 Steel
Connecting Rod Length (in)5.315
Connecting Rod TypeH-Beam
Block ManufacturerDart
Block Part Number31354275
Block MaterialCast Iron
Block TypeDart SHP 302
Cylinder Head ManufacturerAirflow Research
Cylinder Head StyleRace Heads
Intake Runner Volume (cc)205cc
Combustion Chamber Volume (cc)58cc
Head GasketFel-Pro PermaTorqueMLS - NASCAR issue
Rocker System ManufacturerProbe Industries
Rocker System TypeShaft Mount - 1.6 Ratio
Camshaft ManufacturerComp Cams
Camshaft Type"Xtreme Fuel Injected" Hydraulic Roller
Valve Lift (Intake/Exhaust).579/.579
Duration (@ .050 Lift)236/248
Lobe Separation (degrees)114

·
Registered
418 Posts
From what little I know, it looks like this will be quite a beast! May I ask what shop you're working with? Assuming it's in SoCal somewhere. I have a feeling I'll need the help of a good engine builder in the near future and would prefer to work with someone local-ish (I'm at the north end of San Diego county).

·
Registered
60 Posts
That strikes me as a $10,000+, 500hp+ engine and the cam is a bit gnarly. With that compression, it's an E85 or 110 racing motor - definitely drop the compression to 9.5:1 or 10.0:1 if you want to use it on the street.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oil leak to new engine? I assume a woman has never farted around you either. Or, if she did you suggested breast augmentation.
The engine is an old iron head non-roller 302 with a stock cam. It was built in the early 90's. There's really nothing wrong with it, but I'm looking for more power. This 302 probably has 200hp if that. My daily driver has 300hp and even though it weighs almost 900lbs more, can easily beat my 65 to 60mph from a dead stop.

I want a "future proof" engine that will easily take bolt on upgrades later on. I'm planning on adding A/C, then multi-port EFI. Ultimately, I'd like to end up at just north of 400hp at the wheels. At that point I should have a 9" with a limited slip diff.

Maybe if I go with 8.5:1 compression, I can run a supercharger later and go north of 600hp. 🤔

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That strikes me as a $10,000+, 500hp+ engine and the cam is a bit gnarly. With that compression, it's an E85 or 110 racing motor - definitely drop the compression to 9.5:1 or 10.0:1 if you want to use it on the street.
The long block is actually just a little less than $7k and according to them, their specs would support up to 800hp. However, their specs are for an all out race engine. I'd want to keep the lift under .550 and change the duration to get the most out of the motor for a street setup.

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
Ask them to clarify their, specs will suppport up to 800 hp, statement.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,657 Posts
Pretty sure the Dart block will hold up to about that much HP but I'm pretty iffy on the rest of it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Seems like a lot of motor for the street, let alone one with AC.

In addition to reducing the compression and cam, I would look at dialing back the heads to AFR 185's.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ask them to clarify their, specs will suppport up to 800 hp, statement.
What I’m looking at is a long block, not a complete turn key engine that that‘ve dyno tested. The combo of parts would, by their estimate, could support 800hp with the right air/fuel components (maybe NOS). Lofty number, yes, but their 363 crate motors start at 520hp.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like a lot of motor for the street, let alone one with AC.

In addition to reducing the compression and cam, I would look at dialing back the heads to AFR 185's.
I was thinking the same thing. The 205’s are just too much.

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
QUOTE="uibalnme, post: 10375131, member: 40808"]
What I’m looking at is a long block, not a complete turn key engine that that‘ve dyno tested. The combo of parts would, by their estimate, could support 800hp with the right air/fuel components (maybe NOS). Lofty number, yes, but their 363 crate motors start at 520hp.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I’m just suggesting that you get this is writing from them.

Verbal agreements / understanding are great until there’s an issue, then it all comes down to what’s in writing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not necessarily. The V6 in my daily has an 11.8:1 compression ratio. Puts out 300+ at the crank on 91 pump gas. Now if I were to supercharge it, then I'd need an E85 blend or race fuel. If I did, then my daily would be pushing north of 500hp at the wheels. And yes, I have found a company that makes a SC kit for my daily with dyno and track proven results. They even have a SC kit for the V8 version of my daily that will push it to over 700hp at the wheels.

Anyway, that's a whole different animal. I just want more grunt from my 65.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what little I know, it looks like this will be quite a beast! May I ask what shop you're working with? Assuming it's in SoCal somewhere. I have a feeling I'll need the help of a good engine builder in the near future and would prefer to work with someone local-ish (I'm at the north end of San Diego county).
This shop would be quite a drive for you. They're located in Gardena.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
QUOTE="uibalnme, post: 10375131, member: 40808"]

Verbal agreements / understanding are great until there’s an issue, then it all comes down to what’s in writing.
[/QUOTE]

And the typical warranty on a performance motor of this type is? I have yet to find one. No one is going to put in writing that a 500 hp engine will support 800 hp. All it takes is one poorly tuned 250 shot of nitrous to have a burned up engine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

And the typical warranty on a performance motor of this type is? I have yet to find one. No one is going to put in writing that a 500 hp engine will support 800 hp. All it takes is one poorly tuned 250 shot of nitrous to have a burned up engine.
[/QUOTE]

Their warranties for parts and labor are 90 days for short/long blocks, and 2 year unlimited mileage for crate engines. That's in writing.

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not necessarily. The V6 in my daily has an 11.8:1 compression ratio. Puts out 300+ at the crank on 91 pump gas. Now if I were to supercharge it, then I'd need an E85 blend or race fuel. If I did, then my daily would be pushing north of 500hp at the wheels. And yes, I have found a company that makes a SC kit for my daily with dyno and track proven results. They even have a SC kit for the V8 version of my daily that will push it to over 700hp at the wheels.

Anyway, that's a whole different animal. I just want more grunt from my 65.
I assume that your daily has the GM 3.6? If so, it has direct injection with very well-designed cylinder heads & and a very advanced fuel & knock control strategy that can handle such high compression ratios. The atomization of a direct-injected engine can't be matched and they can ensure that the AFR in each cylinder is dead-on so that it doesn't detonate. You can't compare old pushrod technology to what's available in new cars, it's simply a new ballgame. That SBF would not enjoy 11.2:1 compression on 91 octane, it would be walking a tightrope for knock, and I would bet that it eventually takes some damage as a result.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Their warranties for parts and labor are 90 days for short/long blocks, and 2 year unlimited mileage for crate engines. That's in writing.
[/QUOTE]

I would expect that as soon as one takes a crate engine and installs some sort of power adder to approach 800 HP (turbo, super charger, NO2) the warranty is void.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
IMHO, I would avoid Comp Cams like the plague...If you are traveling to Gardena, I would visit Eskenderian (Isky Racing Cams)..they are right there as well.... they physically check every valve spring before it leaves their shop....QA is excellent!!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts