Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Registered
The heads are not too much. The cam is definitely not too radical. I have to wonder if all the people saying these things have ever driven a similar type engine around before? That engine would be just fine.

oh and yeaaaaa! Beechkid is back. Tell him you鈥檙e running a Scat rotating assembly and the next post will be his 10 paragraph dissertation that is copy and pasted, making up 50% of his posts馃榿

Registered
oh and yeaaaaa! Beechkid is back. Tell him you鈥檙e running a Scat rotating assembly and the next post will be his 10 paragraph dissertation that is copy and pasted, making up 50% of his posts馃榿
Yes I am!!! Wheee! The staff at Scat have finally demonstrated to me that they have learned (finally) from their Hot-Rod VW days that they have learned from the "old masters" after experiencing failures (and CAD software not only verified these but they were able to address their design/mfg flaws if you will). So sad to say, you won't be seeing my 10 paragraph dissertation 馃ぃ

Registered
The heads are not too much. The cam is definitely not too radical. I have to wonder if all the people saying these things have ever driven a similar type engine around before? That engine would be just fine.
and yes, i agree with the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO, fewer people today are actually building or even working on their engines than ever before... so IMHO, at least "Bench Racers" in the past had at least a gut instinct of what was reality with parts, etc.... today, we all have to compete against the PR material........ OH MY!!!!!!!

Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
Sorry, I was raised in a bilingual household. English and sarcasm flowed freely through my ears as a youth.

Registered
After watching a few of the videos you posted and seeing a combo that liked, I called you a couple years ago looking for a cam for my big bore 347. The cam you sent me was very mild 218/222, I think it was, idles great with a 114 LSA and made 450 hp and 435 torque by 6,000 RPM and my actual dyno results were within 1% of what the engine in your video did with the same cam. Couldn't be happier with it. Thanks again for the cam recommendation!
It鈥檚 all about the components and application, glad you are happy with it!

Registered
If you really believe this, well, what can i say and the processes used to machine an engine have not changed in 50+ years, because the laws of physics have not changed, what has changed are the engine spec's, materials, etc. and tooling and the introduction of computer-related equipment to speed up the processes. Heck, aerospace type specs were being used by the "best" machine shops in engine rebuilding back in the 60's and 70's! What has changed with the new generation of machinists and engineers, is "thinking" is no longer/much less prominent requirement of the job since they no longer have to analyze themselves the outcome, as the software (even in the aerospace industry) does this for them.... as an example, the in the 1980's it took 800 engineers to design & build the 1st B2 bomber... today, the positions of "draftsman" has been eliminated and the next gen fighter aircraft by the same company took only 80 engineers.... and while manufacturing techniques have improved, you have to remember CAD machining began in 1958.... yes, at Hughes Aircraft Company. This is a 1 minute short PR film showing the system.... in 1958...thought you might enjoy.

I don鈥檛 just believe it, I know it. You had machine shops send you pistons because they did not know how to install witeclips? How about spiral locks? How about them not cutting the decks properly for an MLS gasket? I have, so what I said stands, some shops are too old school and I will sell them parts but probably not send them customers for a performance build. Been doing this professionally for almost 20 years so I have seen a lot and don鈥檛 get me started on engineers who call up because their engine is detonating, so I ask 鈥渉ave you tuned it鈥? Engineer replies, 鈥淣o need to, bought the C&L mass air meter and tube for my injectors鈥.

Registered
I don鈥檛 just believe it, I know it. You had machine shops send you pistons because they did not know how to install witeclips? How about spiral locks? How about them not cutting the decks properly for an MLS gasket? I have, so what I said stands, some shops are too old school and I will sell them parts but probably not send them customers for a performance build. Been doing this professionally for almost 20 years so I have seen a lot and don鈥檛 get me started on engineers who call up because their engine is detonating, so I ask 鈥渉ave you tuned it鈥? Engineer replies, 鈥淣o need to, bought the C&L mass air meter and tube for my injectors鈥.
and mostly these are the same shops that 20 years ago were making similar mistakes (nice way of saying it) on the engines back then as well, but because of "community friends", they maintained their reputation so to speak....and BTW, when the shop failed to perform those functions correctly, did they back you up and take care of the problem for you? If not, my statement stands as well!

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
The journey to (maybe) 500hp begins with a single (engine) block, or something like that.

This will be a long process since I have to buy everything one piece at a time.

Big thanks to @Tobias6566 for helping me get this build started.

Registered
Not a bad small block but way too much cam for A/C. That specs at about what is in my FE 427. That idles at 950 rpm.
Because of what it is I wouldn't go with iron heads. I would go ahead and go ahead with the aluminum heads and roller rockers. It will also require custom length pushrods. I am running some Isky valve train items and the balance is POP ( Precision Oil Pumps roller valvetrain, stands, end stands and heavy duty shafts being the spring pressures are in the 345 lb @ .600 range.
I know power adders as an afterthought sounds ideal. I can tell you that tearing down a good running engine for changes often opens up a can of worms.
Build it like you intend to run it. I don't see the Sniper Fi an issue to add later.
Good luck!

Registered
Not a bad small block but way too much cam for A/C. That specs at about what is in my FE 427. That idles at 950 rpm.
Because of what it is I wouldn't go with iron heads. I would go ahead and go ahead with the aluminum heads and roller rockers. It will also require custom length pushrods. I am running some Isky valve train items and the balance is POP ( Precision Oil Pumps roller valvetrain, stands, end stands and heavy duty shafts being the spring pressures are in the 345 lb @ .600 range.
I know power adders as an afterthought sounds ideal. I can tell you that tearing down a good running engine for changes often opens up a can of worms.
Build it like you intend to run it. I don't see the Sniper Fi an issue to add later.
Good luck!
That cam isn鈥檛 too much. It鈥檚 not even what I鈥檇 consider radical.

Registered
The journey to (maybe) 500hp begins with a single (engine) block, or something like that.

This will be a long process since I have to buy everything one piece at a time.

Big thanks to @Tobias6566 for helping me get this build started.

View attachment 766565 View attachment 766566
I also bought a camshaft and rotating assembly from Tobias a couple years ago, very knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

Registered
That cam wouldn't support any vacuum accessory in a small block and certainly wouldn't be a reliable build with a small windsor based motor.

Registered
Are we looking at the same cam here?

579/.579
Duration (@ .050 Lift)236/248
Lobe Separation (degrees)114

This cam should make plenty of vacuum.
Not a reliable build? Boy you sure would have hated to see the cam in my build then, which by the way, was completely reliable. This cam is a very tame camshaft.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts