Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace a floor pan and I been thinking about getting mini tubs for my 66 coupe. Anyone on here regret doing this? I really want a wider rear tire on my car. Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I did it a couple months ago. Probably 40 hrs worth of work. Pretty intense. Awesome though. I used the dynacorn +2 kit with TCP frame relocators. I would do that or the DSE kit. I wouldn't bother if you're not willing to move the rails.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
66CF, how much wider are you looking to be ? Would you be happy if you fixed the pinch point at the front inside corner of the wheelwell ? That would gain you about an inch and a half, and it is not as involved as tubbing. Don't misunderstand and think I am against tubbing, I am not. BUT I know that I am personally not good at sheetmetal, What Angry did looks great, but I don't have that skill. The notching, I can do. Anyone got some nice pictures of that ? LSG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey LSG, I didn’t realize that could be done. I will look into that also. I just wanted a wider tire. And I like the look and stance of a mini tubbed / pro touring mustang. Mine has a 195/70/14 tire. Since I have all the interior out and I have to replace a floor pan I thought I might be a good time to mini tub it. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Let's ask the other way around. How wide do you want to go, what is your goal?
I know people running 255 in the back without any heavy modifications.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking like a 275 would be nice, but I did not realize you can run a 255 without tubs. That’s great info. I have been out of the loop for awhile. lol. I joined this forum 2 years ago but just now getting around to working on the car. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Might want to look into these:

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I’ve got 255/50-17s on the back of my 66, I rolled the fender lips and persuaded a little bit of the inner fender well. It’s close but it doesn’t rub.

Reactions: 66Coupeford

·
Registered
310 Posts
I’m hoping for at least a 305 to 315 On 10” wheels. This is about where I am right now. I have the brakes cleaned up, installed and bled. Ordered my QP center section 7 weeks ago today. Still waiting on it. When I ordered it they said 5 weeks. Talked to them today. They just can’t keep up. Volume problem not COVID problem.

·
Registered
310 Posts
66CF, how much wider are you looking to be ? Would you be happy if you fixed the pinch point at the front inside corner of the wheelwell ? That would gain you about an inch and a half, and it is not as involved as tubbing. Don't misunderstand and think I am against tubbing, I am not. BUT I know that I am personally not good at sheetmetal, What Angry did looks great, but I don't have that skill. The notching, I can do. Anyone got some nice pictures of that ? LSG
Thanks. You could do it. I had never done anything like it before. Research online and take your time. Make templates, and make sure your car is level before you cut anything. Those inner tubs sure do connect a bunch of stuff together. Grind a little, test fit, repeat. Must have had them in and out 20 times on each side.

Reactions: 66Coupeford

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have to replace a floor pan and I been thinking about getting mini tubs for my 66 coupe. Anyone on here regret doing this? I really want a wider rear tire on my car. Thanks!
No regrets, really not difficult. Good to do if you are going with a 3 or 4 link suspension

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
AAngry, does a fellow HAVE TO do the frame rails if you do the Dyncorn +2 ? I was conteplating the MTF style, specifically because I DIDN'T want to do the frame rails, AND because I am keeping leafs out back. What are you planning for exhaust, if I may ask ? I want to go over the axle and out with 2 &1/2 or 3. Not sure I would have room with your setup. Looks awefully tight around your Watt's link. LSG

1 - 20 of 50 Posts