Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After third transmission failure in 2 years, thinking about upgrading to a Jerico transmission. Any one done it? What can be reused? I would think bell housing, flywheel. How about hydraulic throw out bearing?

I am going to miss my toploader after 20 years, but it appears to have become the weak link.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes on the bellhousing, the flywheel and probably the pressure plate. The TO bearing, clutch disk, and pilot bearing will work if the transmission is optioned the correct way for a Ford.

I did the swap 10 years ago on my car and it was really easy back then. It was a Ford optioned version but it had an 18 spline Mopar type input shaft (commonly used in aftermarket trannys.) I wanted the Ford big 10 and ordered the parts (input and larger yoke) to swap them out. The Jerico is the same length as the toploader and was a direct bolt on the bell and even the driveshaft and shifter was reused.

The issue in 2020 is that Jerico no longer supports any of their earlier transmissions (few parts remaining) and they want to sell you the new design. This was 5 years ago and my transmission (which which was the previous generation they sold 1000's of) was dead for support. At that time the only transmission available and supported was a clutchless design that lent itself mostly for dragracing.

I refuse to support a company that forgets it has lots of loyal users of its equipment and then shuts them off cold turkey. That is when I looked into the Gforce G101a which was pretty much a standard for Nascar until a few years ago. They supplied the correct input shaft and yoke for my Ford combination. Gforce continues to support its older designs (and continues to improve upon them.) The installation was a little more difficult and the biggest expense was a longer driveshaft. The G101a also easily fits the Mustang tunnel easily due to its smaller size.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
BTW the Aussie Company S1 Makes a sequential shifter for the top loader and presumably the Jerico also?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had one in my track car (68 Cougar), got the Bellhousing, triple disk clutch, flywheel and starter from Roush/Yates out of the used parts bin. Might still be able to do that or possibly some of the stock car supply places. Upshift was pure joy, downshift took a little practice..when you see the Cup cars hopping the rear tires at Sears or Watkins Glen, that's exactly what happens if you don't time it right..Lol.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What kind of engine do you have that you are killing toploaders

·
Registered
772 Posts
When I reached the 600hp level my toploaders started to beg for mercy and I was in them way too often (every other weekend at the drags.)

The Jerico was a great replacement at the time and held up well until I started to push the envelope again. It up shifted very smooth (but sounded like a dump truck in the lower gears when street driving.) All was great when I could get parts from Jerico but the availabe shelf stock dried up with no desire on their part to replenish.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well that explains thing. Most people never get near pushing a toploader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts