Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly dont want a console...but I feel I need one for several reasons. I happened to have an extra Miata console(the back half anyway) sitting around unused. This console appeals for several reasons:

1. The shifter/armrest/handbrake distance is as close to perfect as you can get for spirited driving.
2. It has a flip up padded top(this one is currently off for some reason and hiding in a corner of my garage) and below the padded top on the angled area before the cupholder would be a perfect place for any switches I need(for cruise control as an example)
3. It also has a cupholder...or rather an open insert that can be used for a cupholder(and I forget what the other option for the insert was...it also is not currently installed on this particular console) not that the cupholder holds anything bigger than a can of coke without blocking access to the shifter to some degree
4. Because this is only the back portion of the console, I can build the front portion to suit(I plan on maybe some A/C Vents and a roll-up console door similar to the 67 console that I can hide a touchscreen behind)

Anyway, a couple pictures:

The little notch on the driver side is where the hand brake goes. I am just considering using this as the base and making the rest of the thing with fiberglass in some way that better matches the rest of the interior and then upholstering the whole thing with padded vinyl or something...seems better than starting from scratch.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I love my factory console just because I never saw cars with one when I was a kid. Dresses up the interior. I got it just by chance. Went to a barbecue and someone mentioned I had an old Mustang. Our host said, "Hey, I have some old Mustang parts left from when I fixed up 2 for the kids years ago. I have this console I took out because I knew they would just tear it up..."
What are the odds it would be a complete original Turquoise console? I got that and a 5 gal bucket of parts for a $100 bill.
If only it had big cupholders (got a Classic Consoles Saddle for that) and a touchscreen system in the box...
I like your idea, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After looking at my Miata, because of the offset handbrake I would have to massively modify the tunnel to use this console...so now I am on the hunt for a piece of unobtanium(at least here in the US its a rarity). Looking for a console from a 69-74 Ford/Mercury Capri(appreciate any leads if anyone knows an Capri parts hoarders)

I like it because the front of the console looks like it would match the 65-66 dash well

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
^^^ Those seats look like they would go nicely with my black 66 interior and offer some side bolstering.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ Those seats look like they would go nicely with my black 66 interior and offer some side bolstering.
I was actually thinking the same thing...more unobtanium though. Its a possibility for CA guys to find though...thats where the vast majority of classic Capris are...easier if the seats are the same as the MK2 Capris(76-78) since those are a much more common in the states than the MK1

·
Registered
387 Posts
After looking at my Miata, because of the offset handbrake I would have to massively modify the tunnel to use this console...so now I am on the hunt for a piece of unobtanium(at least here in the US its a rarity). Looking for a console from a 69-74 Ford/Mercury Capri(appreciate any leads if anyone knows an Capri parts hoarders)

I like it because the front of the console looks like it would match the 65-66 dash well
I had a quick look on eBay UK and there are some Capri centre consoles. They might ship to the US, but it might cost a bit though.

I have had 2 Ford Capris in the past which were MK3 models. The differences between a MK2 and a MK3 Capri are only minor cosmetic details.

I have no idea if one of these centre consoles would fit or could be made to fit a Mustang. Could be an expensive dead end?

Great cars and the Ford Capri was a sort of European mini Mustang. So it was natural that I got a Mustang after my last Capri.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All the aftermarket consoles on the market are waaay too tall in the center portion for my taste. That is the reason all the consoles I am looking at are just an inch or two tall(except for the arm rest)...like the stock one. The MK1 Capri console I like because of how it goes under the dash before starting to curve back to meet it....that type of reverse curve would seem to match the design of the stock dash in my mind a lot better than shooting straight up or meeting with a positive angle. The Mustang II console like Gypsy has would also be a good contender...but not as good as the MK1 Capri since the e-brake handle area feels a little too long and the front of the console doesn't widen like the Miata or Capri consoles(or OEM for that matter). Its possible I may well end up building one from scratch to meet my criteria...but if I do, it will be built from fiberglass...building it from MDF would require me to use a router to get rid of the too-sharp edges....which is fine...but the end result would be heavier than need be...so my first choice would be fiberglass...and if I am using fiberglass, I can use an existing console as a base....which is why I am looking at all these oddball consoles....since they would only be the base of what I actually end up with...some would require more modification than others though.

P.S. I am actually talking with a guy in CA right now who has a MK1 Capri console for sale...so if he comes back with a reasonable price I may have what I need :::fingers crossed:::

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So this came in today...I am liking it very much...whatever car this came from evidently had factory AC so I have the plenum box that actually has the Ford logo on it and will allow me to actually add AC to the car without that goddawful ugly under dash unit the 66 mustang has. It is also a very complete console with all brackets, inserts and the shifter and E-brake boots. The console lid has an actual chromed metal button that feels nice and solid. The last nice feature is it has a cutout below the AC vents...no cluse what it was used for originally but its a nice place to put some USB power outlets(And a data port for a standalone ECU) as well as maybe a digital display of things that are nice to keep track of but that dont justify a gauge like clock, compass, and AFR

I think I might fab up a little strip of polished aluminum to cover the side stripes as an accent to match the cluster and glovebox door...also have to fab some "wings" out of fiberglass or something to connect to the bottom of the dash.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I think I have to start from scratch now:

I grafted in a S197 tunnel from an 06...and of course none of the consoles I have now will come even close to working. I chose the s197 tunnel because it fits my transmission and gives me a bolt-up offset e-brake. The S197 console is pretty hideous and while I am sure I could adapt it to fit...I just can't stand how it looks, so back to the drawing board on this project. Out of all the custom consoles I have seen, so far I am liking this base the best from some 1970 sportsroof custom build:

Its low profile(a must with the tall tunnel) and while its not much of an actual console, a design like this that runs all the way to the dash with a small armrest(in place of the switches and battery cutoff) at the back would probably look the best. As one of my next projects I will start on this pretty soon. I think though it will be fiberglass base, not wood like most of them....so the first step is to buy some foam and a hot wire knife set to make a plug...though honestly I am torn because I like the vinyl covered flat panel sides this one has(seems like it would be easy access for wiring and the like) and making one out of sheet metal would be pretty easy to form and then just cover with vinyl and a small amount of padding.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

This is the console on my 67 the previous owner built. Overall good plan except no cup holders. The lokar e brake looks nice but won't hold the car.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
View attachment 737359
This is the console on my 67 the previous owner built. Overall good plan except no cup holders. The lokar e brake looks nice but won't hold the car.
Well, you know what they say about cupholders....real sports cars dont have them 😂. It does look good though, nice and low profile ...is there a reason he raised the area around the shifter?

As for the lokar handbrake...why wont it hold the car? do you have rear disc?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Not sure why it raised. I never really looked for a reason.
Yes on rear discs. It seems like its a known issue with the Lokar kit. Can't quite get enough leverage to engage the spring.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Looking into consoles recently I discovered these.
This guy has several consoles, mostly made for brand X cars, but would fit Mustangs.

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,839 Posts
I am going to make a console for my 69 Coupe to accommodate the center mount parking brake handle, & to have a storage compartment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts