Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated, I'm considering putting a '58 Mercury 383 in a '67 Mustang in place of the 289, I'm also going to use the auto trans thats mated with the 383.

Has anyone made this swap, is there much difference between the size of the 383 and the ford big block of the late '60s?

·
Registered
36,648 Posts
My guess is that you won't find any exhaust to fit this. The Merc blocks typically do not have flat decks, but are raised on the outer sides and angled back toward the inside, thus the piston at TDC will be at zero deck height on the inside, but minus on the outside. This forms the combustion chamber. The heads contain virtually no chamber volume. I thought I saw a cheap 390 in the Trade/Free section though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea it is, this is in a daily driver, the original engine is seized and I thought I'd try using the 383. I'm not sure about the room around the steering columm though.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Those engines were VERY heavy, IIRC. You might have issues with exhausts and steering linkage clearance, water pump/radiator hose adapters, engine and tranny crossmember mounts, and shift linkage placement. Most Mercs were column shift, your Mustang is floor shifting. The fabrication costs and installation nightmares might offset any value of the engine... :(

If I were you, I'd sell the 383 to a restorer and buy a 390 or even a small block and build them up. If you decide to install the 383, more power to you. :: At least you'd have something no one else has...
Good luck.
Daniel

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
DONT... do it. sounds like one big hassle to me... get a 351W or C if you can, or a 390 ... bc it sounds like you want some more cubes under the hood.keep it FORD: "do the right thing"

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I probably wouldnt do it either due to the availability of parts for that engine. I dont recall seeing anything for one of those engines. Could be that I've never really checked though. My advice, sell the 383 and get something else. If you dont like the 289 anymore consider a 302 or a 351 Windsor. If that's still not enough for you, get a Cleveland, a 390, or you can go crazy and put a 428 in there :D ::

But, if you do decide to go ahead with it, that'd be unique Mustang you would have in your hands... ::

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would suggest that you put in a 351W. Putting in an old Merc engine and trans makes about as much sense as putting a good cigar in Monica L....somethings going to smell bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts