Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since it looks like my car won't be able to be painted this year(without having to make a temporary paint booth out of a carport...probably wouldnt turn out well) I am now considering flaring the quarters and fenders to a reasonable degree. Just how difficult is it to do this? From the videos and articles on the web it looks fairly easy(Cut the lip back, space it out by X amount, cut sheet metal to fill gap and weld it back together). I am looking for opinions though because the quarters are new and it seems like it would be something easy to mess up. One of the things they dont ever seem to cover is what happens to the wheelhouses? I assume you are filling gaps there as well. How many hours is a project like this likely to take the first time around?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The fronts should be easy being single wall. The rears would be easy if you bought 2 pairs of outer wheelhouses and did the flaring whilst installing the quarters. But you already knew this. Project Creep! Looking forward to the pics!

I thought this was just going to be a daily driver?:wink:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The fronts should be easy being single wall. The rears would be easy if you bought 2 pairs of outer wheelhouses and did the flaring whilst installing the quarters. But you already knew this. Project Creep! Looking forward to the pics!

I thought this was just going to be a daily driver?:wink:
Haha...it will be. Project creep indeed...this was supposed to be a minimal effort quick flip driver...but one thing leads to another...and another....etc. The worst part is that I know that if I flare it...I am going to have to increase power to be able to effectively turn the extra rubber(300HP just wont do it anymore)...which means either a turbo(s) on the v6 or a 351w...it also means new wheels...possibly an 8.8 rear, etc etc

I think I may try my hand on the front driver-side fender and see how it turns out....its an aftermarket fender that doesnt fit worth anything at the cowl area anyway so if I mess it up it wont change my plan to replace it while letting me know if its within my limited skillset. Lord knows I have enough sheet metal sitting around from all the parts I have cut out...the old wheelhousings have the right general shape to start with to make it easier.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think I would go the route of mini-tubs for the back before flares. Granted, that does not do much for the front.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The worst part is that I know that if I flare it...I am going to have to increase power to be able to effectively turn the extra rubber(300HP just wont do it anymore)...which means either a turbo(s) on the v6 or a 351w...it also means new wheels...possibly an 8.8 rear, etc etc.
I guess it depends on the use of the car. I'm still happy when I can best a 120 HP Miata fogger with my 350-400HP Mustang Sunday on the course. More rubber is better!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have no advice but love the looks of big flares and widebodies. I'lll be watching what you do with this. I'm curious as to whether going wider is enough or if you will need to also raise the openinings to clear your tires. I'd personally like to see some shape to the flare rather that just flat sheetmetal to more mimic the original styling. In regards to tubs vs. flares, I think a wider tire is not all that matters, track width is a factor. I'll be watching where you go with this.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...I was thinking track width...still cant find any wheel wider than 8 inches in a 16" diameter that I like anyway(I still refuse to go to a 17 inch wheel on a 66 coupe...they just look cartoonish)...I am wanting to fit some 245/45/16s all around(though that type of width makes me wonder how bad manual steering will be up front). They wont be huge flares by any means...maybe 1.5-2"?

·
Registered
33,550 Posts
In the "old days" we used to lay out our pattern for flares with EMT conduit, since it bends easily. Tack it in place and then lay up your flares using it as a guide.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Or you could find another car in a JY that has flares that you like, cut them out and graft them on to your car. I've seen a lot of 80's Merc Capri flairs addend on to other cars. They're usually good for about 2" more wheel arch room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts