Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Thinking of Serpentine Belt System

2135 Views 59 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Rufus68
I'm not thinking about adding one to my vehicle, but the setting one up on one of these classic cars.

Can someone possibly add a serpentine crankshaft pulley, a serpentine water pump pulley, and a serpentine alternator pulley onto a 289/302 and use the alternator setup to tighten the belt? Get the pulleys from an 80/90's Mustang. I see the prices for what an aftermarket serpentine system goes for, and it's a lot of cash.

Can it be done in the way I'm thinking of?
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· I won a special award
9,661 Posts
I'm not thinking about adding one to my vehicle, but the setting one up on one of these classic cars.

Can someone possibly add a serpentine crankshaft pulley, a serpentine water pump pulley, and a serpentine alternator pulley onto a 289/302 and use the alternator setup to tighten the belt? Get the pulleys from an 80/90's Mustang. I see the prices for what an aftermarket serpentine system goes for, and it's a lot of cash.

Can it be done in the way I'm thinking of?

Yes it can be done. That's how mine is set up. I used a set of March billet aluminum pulleys ($242 at Summit currently) along with a Summit billet aluminum alternator bracket. Just for the record, I have the under drive crank pulley due to high rpm (7,500) my motor sees occasionally. The standard size pulley comes in March set #1675. I have had zero issues with my set up.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

· Registered
45,104 Posts
Yes it can be done. That's how mine is set up. I used a set of March billet aluminum pulleys ($242 at Summit currently) along with a Summit billet aluminum alternator bracket. Just for the record, I have the under drive crank pulley due to high rpm (7,500) my motor sees occasionally. The standard size pulley comes in March set #1675. I have had zero issues with my set up.

View attachment 869244
That's not a serpentine system. That's just a multi-rib, versus a v-belt.

· Registered
3,121 Posts
But it's what LeeFred described.

LeeFred, I ran one as you described for a few years without issue, other than looks. Cuz I like the look of stock V belts.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

I lowered the alternator with a simple bracket.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exhaust

After adding AC I have (2) six rib belts. Adjustment from the alternator and the condenser. Much less cash involved than the serpentine kits out there.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
69 Mach 1, 351W, T5
82 Posts
I just run a water pump and alternator in a "multi-rib" setup similar to as shown above. Below are a couple links I found useful, and include part numbers for factory brackets and pulleys. I got my pulleys on e-bay. I also like that if my 5G alternator dies while I'm on the road I can just stop at a parts store and grab one without having to swap out the pulley.

Switching over to 8-rib belt

Serpentine bs v-belt
Mine looks a lot like post #24 in that link

· I won a special award
9,661 Posts
I know it's not a true serpentine setup, but it matches what Lee Fred was asking about.

· Registered
731 Posts
Woodchuck, I'm not sure what im missing here. The pic shows what appears to be a serpentine belt in use.
If there was an idler pulley at about 9'oclock to the water pump pulley (the back/ flat of the belt would be in contact with the idler) requiring a longer belt which would then increase the wrap on the water pump and alternator pulleys - would that meet your definition of a serpentine drive or is something else needed ?

· Registered
80 Posts
Woodchuck, I'm not sure what im missing here. The pic shows what appears to be a serpentine belt in use.
If there was an idler pulley at about 9'oclock to the water pump pulley (the back/ flat of the belt would be in contact with the idler) requiring a longer belt which would then increase the wrap on the water pump and alternator pulleys - would that meet your definition of a serpentine drive or is something else needed ?
I believe he’s just being “technically” correct, (which is the best kind, but also a bit obnoxious) because none of the accessories are driven by the backside of the belt. Also, there’s no dedicated tensioner pulley here like in a typical, ahem serpentine, setup.

· Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,367 Posts

View attachment 869244
I like this look, just have a rookie question. Is that enough wrap on the water pump pulley?

· Premium Member
687 Posts

View attachment 869244
What balancer is that?

· I won a special award
9,661 Posts
I like this look, just have a rookie question. Is that enough wrap on the water pump pulley?
I know it doesn't look like much contact. But that engine turns 7,500 rpm with no belt slip. I do use an under drive crank pulley (smaller diameter) which does slow the water pump down a bit.

· Registered
22,553 Posts

View attachment 869244

He's has another issue that he has the 3 bolt lower pulley with the water pump outlet on the passenger side. The offsets and diameters of the pulleys are different. Yours is a 4 bolt lower pulley.

· Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking similar what @Maxum96 has setup, but more stock in color.

This crankshaft pulley, or one similar:

Amazon.com: Crankshaft Pulley - Compatible with 1987-1996 Ford F150 V8 : Automotive

This water pump pulley, or one similar (hopefully not made in china):

Amazon.com: Dorman 300-944 Engine Water Pump Pulley Compatible with Select Ford/Mercury Models : Automotive

And the 3G alternators come with a ribbed belt pulley already installed:

Amazon.com: New Alternator Replacement For 1994-1995 Replacement Ford Mustang 3.8L 5.0L 302, 94-98 Thunderbird 3.8L, 1994-1997 Mercury Cougar 3.8L F4ZU10300DA, F4ZU-DA, AFD0032, 40014036, 40014036R : Automotive

All these pulleys would have to line up, so order them from one specific year of 5.0. I just don't know if the vintage alternator brackets would put the alternator in a position to allow that to happen.

· Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's has another issue that he has the 3 bolt lower pulley with the water pump outlet on the passenger side. The offsets and diameters of the pulleys are different. Yours is a 4 bolt lower pulley.
If you're referring to my setup, I have a balancer which is drilled for either 3 or 4 bolt pulleys.

· Registered
2,260 Posts
Part of the 'big deal' about a serpentine setup is that you get more wrap around the pulleys compared to a normal "v-belt" routing. If you use a multi-rib flat belt with the old routing, you don't gain a thing. In fact, the V-belts 'grab' the pulleys because of the way they bunch up when you bend them sharply, allowing them to hang onto the pulleys better than a serpentine type belt in the same configuration.

The factory serpentine belt setup routes the belts through pulleys in a way that makes more of the flat belt touch the pulleys, getting more grip with less resistance. They last longer, and steal a little less power, plus your alternator won't squeal anymore.

So bottom line here: Yes, you can route a serpentine belt that way, using serpentine pulleys. But it's not the best idea. If you have an upgraded alternator, to make it not squeal, you'd have to run a lot of tension, and that may cause premature wear on your water pump and alternator.

· Registered
1,477 Posts
I found a standard rotation serpentine water pump pulley which is stamped Ford engineering # E0VE-8509-A7A from an '88 Towncar 5.0L (Ford part # E0VY-8509-A is a Single Sheave Waterpump Pulley 1980-89 LTD/Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Town Car with A/C & 1981-83 Continental Mark VI 5.0L).

I plan to use a Foxbody crank pulley & 3G alternator without any other accessories (aftermarket balancer on an Explorer 5.0L with vintage timing cover).

Reactions: rpm and Huskinhano

· Registered
45,104 Posts
I believe he’s just being “technically” correct, (which is the best kind, but also a bit obnoxious) because none of the accessories are driven by the backside of the belt. Also, there’s no dedicated tensioner pulley here like in a typical, ahem serpentine, setup.
That's me... obnoxiously anal-retentive.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts