Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this information here
some time ago about using a 65 Chevy brake light switch in a 65 Mustang. You remove the brake pedal stop and place the switch in its place. Move the wires over and you're done. It is a bit difficult to install it, but nothing like the original. I'm 6'2, 240 with 3X hands and it is extremely difficult for me to work under the dash. This was a big problem solver for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any chance of a picture of the install? I am wrestling with a 65 brake switch, cannot get the pin removed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give it a shot. Basically you find the rubber stop on the frame in front of the brake pedal actuating arm. I had to cut mine out with a flat Xacto blade. Then
put the threaded end of the switch through with only one nut in back. Screw on the other nut and adjust to length. It's a very confined space, but nothing like the original switch from hell. I've read threads on here where someone took over 6 hours to remove and replace that switch. Dropping the steering column helps and pushing the pedal forward clears a bit, but the original is still a real bitch to change. The wires look closer to the original switch than they actually are.

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
Nice job but I'd put some shrink wrap on those female terminals. Exposed "hot" wires give me the willies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts