Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the coke thing made me think of this. My Father-in-Law who works for a sewer department claims the only real way to find underground water is to hold pieces of metal (usually a bent hanger) in each and and wait for them to cross. When they do you've found water. I laughed at my entire in-laws household because they all believed it too. What's the scoop?

G

·
0 Posts
Ahhhhh the old divining rod! I've heard about it all my life & they never seem to work when you try to test someone. I'll take a U.S. Geological survey anytime! You'll have the last laugh! Had someone try one a few years ago... kept saying "No water here. I can spot a pint from 20 feet!" He couldn't find his ass with both hands, let alone the liter I was carrying!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I have never done it to find water. But I have to find electrical lines in the ground and a sewer line. When I too care of the athletic fields years ago I would use 2 coat hangers to find Sprinkler lines and brass heads in the spring the sprinkler heads would always grow over. I would come with in about 12' of where it was. When I was a teenager my neighbor tested me. He had me find his sewer line where it was coming out of his house then he hid a coin in his grass. I found both. He could not beleive that I could do it.
I don't know if I could do it any more or not. I haven't done it in years.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
My father-in-law had a diviner come and locate a well site for his house outside of Eugene, OR. Well, they drilled, and found water. Amazing! Only thing is: in that part of the country, drilling anywhere and deep enough will find you water. A good diviner will tell you where and how deep it is. Most, if not all, cannot do that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I hired a fellow to find a water leak under a concrete slab/foundation. No divining rod nor Tarot cards! He shut off the main water supply, applied compressed air to the pipes (he must have drained the water out of the pipes), then used a sensitive microphone/amp to listed for the air bubbles. He found it within two or three inches, made a very tidy hole just big enough for his hands, spliced in a couple inches of pipe, patched the hole, charged me $450, and was gone in 1 1/2 hours. Says he does two a day and gets home early.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've seen it done and have done it. There are many ways of finding water or sewer lines. The old timers used the divining (what they called witching). Now we use more sofisticated methods. Both have their time and place, even today.

·
6,854 Posts
Bishir,

I've seen it done dozen's of times. We want to put in a new gas main, we call for locates, and some ol feller shows up in a beat up pickemup, asks what we need, and hauls out his witchin sticks. OH BROTHER!

Oh, some guys are better than others. One old boy would walk over to a water meter lid, the sticks would come together, he'd put down a daub of blue paint on the water meter lid, he'd wander over to a curb box, but another spray of blue on the valve's lid, wander over to a fire hydrant (where the rod's would magically come together) and spray a little blue at the base of the hydrant. PLEASE!

One time I had to put a few miles of gas main down the side of a state highway. There was a 4" PVC water main that wandered all over God's creation on the same side. Sometimes it was 10 feet off pavement, sometimes it was 50 feet off (like whoever put it in was ON ACID OR SOMETHING). My construction supervisor is a witch from way back. He got out his rods and started in on this thing...going along and everytime his rods touched, he'd stick in a flag, or put some paint on the ground. A week later we put the new gas main in. We cut that fricken water line so many times I had everyone from the water company to the newspaper to the local State Senator getting in line to get a piece of my ass. WHAT A MESS! I just stuck to my guns and told them it was their own fault for not having prints and/or putting a locating wire in with it. Utilites are responsible for knowing where there stuff is after all...at least all utilities except this particular rural water company that doesn't have a frickin clue.

We bury a 14 guage tracer wire with our polyethelyne gas line. You can't locate the plastic, but you can hook a pipe and cable locator on the wire and locate it within a foot or so. What you do is hook up a transmitter on the wire and send a radio signal down it. The receiver nulls out over the wire, and that tells you you're on top of it.

Without tracer wire, you can find it with ground penetrating radar...but that's kind of beyond my knowledge base.

As far as witching let me just quote one Captain Han Solo who said something like,"I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything," he said. "There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

But, if you're stuck out in the desert, and you need to know where to dig for water to keep you alive...then I guess...May The Force Be With You. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Phil

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
These must be the same people who keep infomercial companies in business!!!

And hope to retire to the oceanfront property in arizona!!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Don't know the scoop; wouldn't admit there's anything to it; scientifically couldn't be anything to it; Have known college-educated men make a side living as a Water-Witch, and when called in after some guy and put 3 unsuccessful holes in the ground, he pinpointed one and it worked. Have seen it several times. Don't know; don't ask; don't really question; it ain't my territory.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
File this one in believe it or not....Where I work there are LOTS of underground pipes, cables, etc. They brought in the high dollar boys with their seismic do-das and proceeded to mark the ground up. When they would get stumped by the machinery or they just wanted to be sure.....one guy would get his two rods and walk over the paint marks. He even found a few the electronic gee-gaw missed. To prove their point, one guy would lay a shovel handle down while the other guy walked up with his eyes closed, the rods crossed every time. They said that a continuous line of material would cause it. I'm not 100% convinced, but they sure made it look good!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Down here, in the Land of the Kangaroo, we have some pretty arid country & farmers rely on the professional diviner's ability to find water.
I was still at school, when my old man hired a bloke to find water on our farm.He found 3 underground streams, that led to a junction & said "bore here,50ft & you got 10,000 gallons/hr".He set up his rig,drilled 50ft & we had 10,000gal/hr!
His divining rod was bent stick!
Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts