Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pin that went through my replacement leaf-rack sheared off leaving me going down the road with my right rear wheel grinding against the wheel lip as the axle slid toward the back of the car. Fortunately I was close to home and nursed her into the garage, This kind of pissed me off as there aren't that many miles on my new rear leafs, but also alerted me to the fact of the minimal amount of designed strength involved in the attachment of the axle to the car.

It was about as bad as replacing a spring but I fixed it wiith a grade 8 bolt and nut and got on my way; although I needed to re-paint the rubbed off area on my rear quarter wheel lip/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Ruined what could'a been a great day!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Could have been a lot worse Steve, that happened to a buddy of mine and he nearly totaled his car when it went into the one beside it at 60. Glad you didn't get hurt, and hope the repairs are quick and easy.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Sounds like your u bolt may not have been tight. When installing new leaf springs you have to go back and check to make sure they have not come loose. It happens more than you think.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear no serious damage was done to that great car. Or to you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are undoubtedly right; I had re-torqued the U-bolt nuts after about three hundred miles but forgot about them after that. Hand me the Doofus, they do settle in and I should have checked them again this season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts