Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was greatly saddened to hear of John Entwistle's death earlier today. Apparently the Who were in Las Vegas set for a show and tour. I have not heard much about the cause of John's death but he is a cornerstone of rock and roll and will be sadly missed. The irony of Pete Townsend outliving two of his mates...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Sad.... Had tickets to see them in Detroit in Aug.
Saw them in 82 at the Pontiac Sliverdome.
Johnny Twinklefingers.... He was one of the best. I will miss him.
Boris the Spider

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
HOLY SH**!!! This is the first that I've heard of this! I'm seriously bummed! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Entwhistle was the force behind some of my favorite Who tunes. It seemed like when Entwhistle was out in front, Townsend could stretch out and play some chops. Two of my favorite Entwhistle tunes were: "My Wife" and "Heaven & Hell". Great songs, and a great sense of humor....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Seen them in the San Diego Sports Arena in 1970, one of the best I've been to, but my ears hurt for days after.Will be missed.

G

·
0 Posts
How tragic. My guess is that Townsend and Daltrey will never be able to perform as the who again. The Ox's wild arse bass playing was, in my opinion, what made the WHO as powerful as they were. Just listen to "Live at Leeds" on one speaker channel (turn Townsend off) - it will blow your mind. Thankfully, I was able to see them last year (Pete Starkey - Ringo Star's son was on the drums) - plus the rest of the WHO. Incredible. God Bless John Entwistle, his family and the millions of WHO fans out there.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I heard that last night watching SWMBO's entertainment shows (don't ask.) He was the one of the Holy Trinity of my favorite bass players while I was a teenager learning to play bass (Geddy and Squire being the other two.) I am really, really upset about this. We can all hope to live half as full a life as he /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Truely a sad day. Time to crank up some "My Generation" and "The Real Me" to hear those signature bass riffs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This is a great loss for rock and a dark day for fans of the Who. I saw them eleven times over the years and got to meet Entwistle at one of his art exhibits in 1996. A real gentleman, "the quiet one," who held the rhythm together while Moon went nuts. He will be missed.

My prayers go out to John's family, the band, and fans. I hope he and Keith are kicking back at heaven's bar with nice full glasses of Remy Martin!

G

·
0 Posts
John was one of my favorite bassplayers too, as I grew up playing bass. Like a previous poster, Geddy Lee was my other favorite.

I saw the Who in the early 80s at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. It was a great show. Very sad to think I'll never see it again, as it's hard to imagine them going on without John and Keith, but I suppose they can give it a go.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that while the Who has lost a drummer and a bassplayer, the only surviving members of the Beatles are a drummer and a bassplayer? Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Sad news no doubt. "Thunderfingers" was a great bass player, and the Who's music often put his bass lines in the forefront.

Think I'll have to crank up a little "Quadrophenia" tonight in his honor ! Dickson

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
It is a shame. I'm really bummed now I gave up tkts to see them in NY 2 yrs ago instead to go to a Yanks playoff game. If I had know I was gonna see a ton of Yanks post-season games in the last few yrs. I was really unhappy to see they were not coming anywhere near Atlanta. I had really wanted to see them live after seeing them rock the house at the 9/11 Tribute on TV.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts