Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Exchevman said:
I thought it would be something like that, just curious like I said. I-5 is a bitch any way, lots of nothing.
well.... I'm sure the desert run ain't gonna be real pretty either! ;)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi Ken,

When I was driving truck a few years ago, I hauled a few loads of apples from Yakima to Phoenix. The route I always took was:

(ased on starting in Wenatchee)
US 97 to Bend, OR (6:00 hrs / 310 miles)
Hwy 20 to Burns, OR (2:45 hours / 138 miles)
Hwy 78 to Burns Junction, OR then Hwy 95 to Winnemucca, NV (4:30 hours / 220 miles)
I-90 WEST to Hwy 95 (Exit 83) (1:30 hours / 95 miles)
Hwy 95 to Vegas (9:30 hours / 490 miles)

Times and distances are from my old driver's log books. Take the times with a grain of salt as my truck was governed to 65 mph.

The jaunt through Nevada is quite boring without many areas to stop so plan accordingly.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Yeah, the trucker I talked with gave me a route that was just under 1100 miles....which no matter how ya do it....it's still a haul! ;)

Guess I'll get a 1st hand taste on whether I ever wanna haul the car down for the "Hot August Nites" run or not... :blush:

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
I use to live in Carson and Tahoe. I drove the same trip to Winnamucka ,Instead of left to Vegas, I went right.

Let me tell ya. What a long and boring drive.

From Hermiston to Reno took me 11 -11.5 hrs.
If you love the looks of ROCK/Sage brush you will like the drive. At lease you can stop at McDirmitt for some slots/eats.

Time to tear out the apple trees and put a landing strip in and purchase a plane. ;)

Or just tell the kid to come home once in awhile. :eek:

Old people are not able to drive like the younger generation. I would work a 10hr shift and drive 11.5 hrs home. Now 6 hrs driving and I have had enough.

Troy :crazy:

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
LOL Yep I drove part of that route once, and only once :p .

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sorry Ken, no sympathy here...

Driving the Excursion, pulling the snowmachine trailer, to Anchorage on 7 AUG (SWMBO following in her Subaru). Then returning from Anchorage on 23 AUG (just me, in the Ex. Leaving SWMBO and daughter so she can start school). THEN, driving back up, pulling the vert, OCT 23. 2500 miles each way.

Not really what I wanted to do, but the only way I could figure out how to get all my vehicles and toys up there.

But, to get back to the subject of this thread, it won't be hot!!! ;) :lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I tell you what, i'll even take the 80 degree weather over the 120+ we've been having... this stuff sucks... can't wait to see my first rain in over 7 months when i get back home.....

military_stang
:track:

41 - 49 of 49 Posts