Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a canyon at the front of the drivers side at the roof. It was FULL to the top with lead. At least 3/4 CM deep.

Can anyone explain this?

I'm not sure what to ask.....any questions ? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/D7/72/12201175-0e45-01E6021F-.jpg

Gary

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the other side may be the same (same crack in the paint with lead)

Any idea what kind of repair it may have been?

Un-educated guess says its not the cars first roof....and wont be the last!)

Oh, and is it structurally safe?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
On your prior post you mentioned a lot of holes in the drip rail area. Did this car have a vinal roof and then removed? This was the case in the car being worked on here. Vinal had holes and water got inside and rusted areas out. The one you show is much worse than the one I saw.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been told that the "chrome moldings on the B pillars"
indicate the car had a vinyl roof.

I also have peice of paper from a PO that says something about a vinyl top (i decoded the tag but never found anything to say for sure it had a vinyl top)

So, what you saying is this could be the result of a vinyl top / rust problem that has been repaired (badly!) in the past.

I would like to know if its as bad as it looks or should i definitly go with another roof.

i think its a combination of all that plus a terrible paint job. The roof is terrible, bubbling all over the front and drip rails, but the rest of the car is fine! Not a bubble or bad spot in sight!

Gary

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
hello gary my buddy in england has a 68 coupe we both use for spares im not sure what condition the roof is in the car was imported from california about 3 yrs ago j-code 68 coupe not much left on it.i also have a rust free arizona coupe 289 auto tatty looking but rustfree.thanks javed

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you've got a rust free roof (or close to it)- name your price.

I'm sure you can imagine the cost of shipping a roof from the US!.

I also posted on the MOCGB forum about it (although the 390 is now obviously on hold for a while)

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
From the 1 hole I've seen; it's worse than the one already being replaced here. In the drip rail though there were dozens of small holes on both sides; some pinhole some larger.
From what I can see of that hole; if the roof was replaced once already it seems to be a poor job. If it was just repaired it's hard to say.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was the drip rail halfway through stripping the paint:

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/B4/92/12202164-e4e9-02000151-.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Last one of these I saw was a Boss9 that had a crappy cap job done in the early '70's. Structurally it's ok to drive it but needs to be supported if you change it. I need to have my '70 Spoiler capped(long goat story) & will pay a reputable shop to do it & check on their progress daily.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
couple thoughts
leading in that close to glass is touchy business, that said, its odd that a body shop would bother leading that spot,quick and cheap plastic would have been my guess, along with the bubbling paint all over the top,as if the old glue may have not been removed completly and painted over?
leading a seam is done over clean metal,looks as tho no sheet metal skin was there when they leaded, strang they didnt weld in a patch and then lead it, or plastic over the patch?
may as well pull the chrome and the headliner and have a better look around, maybe spot other rust or welds from other work that was done wrong,front glass should be pulled also, the top may be able to repaired properly, if you lack the tools,take it to 2 or 3 body shops for diff opinions.
you gotta realize a change of tops is gonna be pricey to have done and the new top WILL have dings to repair..
You might strip more paint and check if its the old glue causing bubbles , clean and prime and let a shop weld in patches and finish off seams again.
id say it was a back yard job.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Looks like my body guy was trying for a quality repair on yours /forums/images/icons/smile.gif On mine, he simply pounded the rust areas and put bondo in the holes w/o cutting out ANY rust...looks similar to what is happening there. Perhaps didn't plan on the "A" pillar flex???

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
hello gary,we have a good rustfree roof (68 coupe) and also have complete 67 390gt motor sump to manifold all correct numbers motor is stripped and has standard bore/crank i dont have the exhaust manifolds they were used on another 390 car price for roof/motor £550

1 - 13 of 13 Posts