Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wifes Benz, bad to start, new battery, put the voltmeter on the battery and revved it up. Doesn't move at all past 12v.

Thanks.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I wont swear to it, but I think that voltage does not flux as much as amperage, but it does flux. I think you should probably see a slight increase (13V or 14V) while the engine is running.

To be absolutely sure, I would yank it and take it to Autozone.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
It depends if it has an internal or external regulator. If it has an external one, its could be either, and you'd have to bypass it to see (never did a Benz though). If its internal, then its usually just as cheap to replace the alternator

No matter what, it should be at least 14 volts at idle with nothing running (lights, heater etc)

G

·
0 Posts
If you know all the connections are tight and clean on the alt and batt, then it's time for a trip to the ZONE.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey Boogins, if I can help you with the alternator let me know. Remember I work for a Benz Dealer.Rob 1-800-966-1580

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I found a re-manned Bosch in FL or $65 from a dismantler. I'll try that and hope for the best. I got prices as high a $250 plus core for a re-manned Bosch. I'll try to remember next time I need some pieces-and I always do.

I thought maybe you had a problem with the dealership after you posted that wrong price on the auction site-what was it, you sold a 98 500sl on a "buy it now" for $16k or something like that?

See ya.

J. Boggs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts