Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
Alan, that really hurts man!

Kerry,
Your black car is built to handle and if it takes a 17" wheel to get a tire that suits your needs then go for it! The Minilite style wheels really look good on that car.
But your white car doesn't have 17" wheels. And that tells me that you respect the style of the original.

It would be boring if we all agreed on that kind of stuff.

How true. Diversity makes this all fun.
With 17" wheels all I see is lots of wheel and very little tire. And compare the shape of a late model Mustang's wheel opening to a vintage Mustang's wheel opening. Late model is an inverted U and vintage is more like a teardrop. And the large wheel/small tire just doesn't look right in the vintage wheel opening to me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Kerry,
Your black car is built to handle and if it takes a 17" wheel to get a tire that suits your needs then go for it! The Minilite style wheels really look good on that car.
But your white car doesn't have 17" wheels. And that tells me that you respect the style of the original.

How true. Diversity makes this all fun.
With 17" wheels all I see is lots of wheel and very little tire. And compare the shape of a late model Mustang's wheel opening to a vintage Mustang's wheel opening. Late model is an inverted U and vintage is more like a teardrop. And the large wheel/small tire just doesn't look right in the vintage wheel opening to me.

Alan, I'm just messin with you. I like the old school look too, here's some pics of cars that I really wish I had more info on from a wheel size and offset, tire size, body mods, etc. Don't know how they stuff em in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
Fantastic "period correct" looking tires and I'm sure they handle just as well. Not inexpensive to say the least!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
* Missing shock towers on an small block.
* Un-terminated wires hanging from under the dash
* Ugly (not dirty from use but ugly) engine compartments - a tidy engine compartment is a sign of self-respect no matter how funky the car is
* Chrome bolt-ons - basically anything hanging on an autozone or advance auto shelf
* Giant carbs and duals with tall intakes on street cars
* Sorry guys but wood steering wheels - who needs wood shards in the gut and why-on-earth would someone have a cool car and want the first thing that draws a viewer's eye to be a new Steering wheel obviously fresh out of a Catalog that nominally looks like every other wood steering wheel in every other catalog - especially when there is not another matching piece of wood in the car
* Stereos bolted under the dash
* Cut dashes for stereos, no matter how cool the stereo unless the rest of the dash is modern. Modern stereos with major blue lighting in an old school dash - sigh...
* Sorry guys and Kelly but Fox body seats
* generic looking aftermarket center consoles
* Axle nuts - the ones that hang...
* Most Grant Steering wheels, especially the ones with visible wires and horn buttons that look like popped pop-goes-the-weezles
* Cheery bombs
* rubber-band tires
* ***, grass or cash, no-one rides for free and get-in, hold on and shut up signs and stickers
* Visible speakers
* Mirror Dice in any car after 1959
* Baby moons on Mustangs - love 'em on other cars but...
* Seats that are not bolted down tightly
Well, I'm starting to slow down so I'll stop here but I know I got more and have probably insulted enough people...

·
Administrator
19,326 Posts
Dang it, I almost squeezed by that list. Snagged up on the Grant wheel and modern stereo though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
hmmm....let's see:
1. K&N stickers
2. Stickers in the back window that show a little boy taking a leak on something
3. Those big "stickers" that run across the top of the front windshield
4. Any stickers anywhere pretty much

5. Exhaust pipes that stick out too far because someone was too lazy to finish the job- especially when rusty Makes me want to jump out of my car at the stop light with a hack saw and start trimming
6. Dual exhaust tips that are not symmetrical
7. Even though I used to like it, tires that stick out and exceed the fender well by a 2+ inches

8. Emblems from a newer model placed on an old car
9. Painting over chrome with black or body colored paint
10 Sunroofs on cars that didn't come that way from factory (funny how that used to be so common)

11. Pretty much any attempt to make an older car look like a newer model (such as painting the chrome black or body color)

12. Wheels that look like an accessory for a food processor

·
Administrator
19,326 Posts
OK, it's a blacked out Signature series three spoke with the almost flush style horn button. So even if you don't like it, it doesn't really jump out at you.
How about my radio? No idea why I took a picture before I attached it to the dash but I've had it in and out so many times that is actually it's normal position. How it looks when turned off.

(Hey, GypsyR has Mitsubishi seats in his car! Shuddup! Who said that?)

·
Dimples
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
(Hey, GypsyR has Mitsubishi seats in his car! Shuddup! Who said that?)
I'll see your Mitsubishi seats and raise you Acura RSX seats! lol

CustomDoorPanel8

Once again, I think the difference of opinions on this stuff is cool. I had fun picking on a hot rod buddy last night for his lever radiator cap. It's just good sport.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I cringe when I see any classic (Ford, GM, Mopar) with EFI.
guilty

- Coat hangar plug wire
guilty. I did this in HS with a coat hanger and electrical tape.

- Nylon stocking fan belt
I have not done it, but my dad did when his belt broke between Utah and Colorado.

- Four different sizes of tires
4 different tires when I bought the car. including a trailer tire.

- Vice-Grip window crank
If the girls don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

I consider 17" too big for a 60's/70's muscle car.
guilty

* Un-terminated wires hanging from under the dash
guilty. Of course, it is a secondary fuse block waiting on accessories.

* Cut dashes for stereos, no matter how cool the stereo unless the rest of the dash is modern. Modern stereos with major blue lighting in an old school dash - sigh...
* Sorry guys and Kelly but Fox body seats
* generic looking aftermarket center consoles
* Visible speakers
guilty.

·
Registered
487 Posts
* Sorry guys but wood steering wheels - who needs wood shards in the gut and why-on-earth would someone have a cool car and want the first thing that draws a viewer's eye to be a new Steering wheel obviously fresh out of a Catalog that nominally looks like every other wood steering wheel in every other catalog - especially when there is not another matching piece of wood in the car
I have a wooden shift knob in my car, does that make my wooden wheel okay? :wink: (ignore the 90s radio, that one is courtesy of the PO)

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,326 Posts
I'll see your Mitsubishi seats and raise you Acura RSX seats! lol
Mine are like Recaro clones. Those look good. Not thrilled about the side airbag pockets but what can you do?
I've never like Honda/Acuras but somehow their sportier seats really fit me well. My tired mismatched VW seats will be retired for a decent pair of tan cloth Acura seats on my to-do list. I butt-tested the heck out of them before I bought them.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts